Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

computer pauses all the time

by RobAndCathy / September 21, 2004 4:32 AM PDT

I have a pentium 3 800 MHZ,with windows 98 SE,geforce2MX,and a 20GB hard drive and i have norton system works 2004.My computer works good most of the time but has a very annoying habit of just stopping in the middle of whatever it's doing for a couple of minutes and then starts going again after a while.I tried phonung my internet provider(Sympatico high speed)and they say it's my computer,I phoned Gateway,and they say it's my internet provider.It doesn't seem to matter what i'm doing,I could just be surfing the internet and it stops for a while and then starts going again.I have run all of the tests in my norton program,i went to pc pitstop and they all say my computer is fine.This is driving me crazy,and I don't really know very much about computers,except how to play my games on it.Can someone please help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer pauses all the time
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer pauses all the time
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Let us more clearly define what you mean by
by Ray Harinec / September 21, 2004 4:55 AM PDT

If you mean that the system doesn't find a site when you click to go there, That might be your ISP [and they will never admit it].

If you say that the operation of the windows and other processess simply freeze, mouse won't move, or et al. Tell us.

As an aside, I hear more bad things about Norton System works than good things. Only Symantec product that I will consider using is NAV. Peter Norton sold his name to Symantec many years ago, not his reputation for excellence.

I think that the Pentium III's also had the throttling function in them, They slow down dramatically when they are getting too hot. Check those fans and get rid of dust bunnies.

Collapse -
Re: Let us more clearly define what you mean by
by RobAndCathy / September 21, 2004 5:19 AM PDT

As I said before I don't know a lot,so if I have trouble using the right terms or figuring out what you told me,please be patient.When it stops it seems like evrything is still working except one thing(it changes).When it happens,I hit control,alt and delete to bring up that little box and it will say,for example,CNET.Help.com internet explorer(not responding).I also forgot to add in my post that i have 256MB ram,I use adaware,and zonealarm,I defragment usually around once every week or two,I try to keep most of the dust out of my computer using compressed air,and I also delete the temporary internet files and empty my recycle bin usually every day.I hope some of this helps.

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / September 21, 2004 9:54 PM PDT

1. As I said before I don't know a lot,so if I have trouble using the right terms or figuring out what you told me,please be patient.

Your problem is clear enough but you have not revealed anything however about the situation -- clear and concise details of what happens or does not happen when using your computer.

2. When it stops it seems like evrything is still working except one thing(it changes).When it happens,I hit control,alt and delete to bring up that little box and it will say,for example,CNET.Help.com internet explorer(not responding).

Notice the last two words in the first sentence -- what is it changes?

3. Please let me point out that the article [Understanding and Troubleshooting Unrecoverable Errors (Faults) in Internet Explorer (Q276393)] explains that IE runs in what is known as a user-mode (or Ring3) process that means it runs in its own virtual address spaces and does not have direct access to hardware or memory that is not allocated to it by Windows. Please note however, most programs interact with user-mode processes such as ActiveX Controls, Browser Helper Objects, tool bands, and other components that can add custom functionality, such as additional toolbars, wallpaper or banner ads and etc., and anything else added and unnecessarily used for/with IE is going to slow its process.

Note: Compare the Internet site problems or your computer's symptom and situation with some of the problems explained in this article or the result of what ever your troubleshooting reveals and give more detailed information.

Collapse -
by RobAndCathy / September 21, 2004 5:24 AM PDT

Oh,and by the way,I forgot to say thank you,thanks.

Collapse -
Seems like spyware is a good possibility
by Ray Harinec / September 21, 2004 6:16 AM PDT

I actually got a Compaq working that kept hanging up on virtually anything, by running a registry cleaner. It found over 200 bad entries. [the owner has MS and tends to download anything, and then doesn't remember what it is for]. I get a call every couple of weeks to get the computer working again. It is really a pleasure to see someone with that disease just loving using a computer. Worth every minute trying to help.

I used easyclean which once was free. It is from toniarts.com. I'm not sure what other registry cleaners there are now. Most people are using Windows XP and I understand that XP does a pretty good job of cleaning the registry, while Win 98 doesn't.

Do you know how to do a search in these forums for a Registry Cleaner???

Collapse -
Try this...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2004 5:03 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: Try this...
by RobAndCathy / September 21, 2004 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this...

Hi,I have adaware and just tried the CWshredder that I read about in a newsletter from pc world magazine.They both say everything is good.I will look up the other ones and see if they aren't too hard for me to figure out,and if I'm felling brave I'll try them and let you know how they work out,thank you.

Collapse -
Try them all since...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2004 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Try this...

What Adaware finds often isn't found by Spybot and vice versa.

Good to hear the dust bunnies are not living there.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: computer pauses all the time
by swisse / September 21, 2004 6:33 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re: computer pauses all the time
by Kees Bakker / September 21, 2004 7:47 AM PDT

Rob and Cathy,

I've got a 2 Gb hard drive and no problems at all, so having 'only' 20 Gb can't be your only problem.
Still, to pursue that possible cause:
- how much free disc space (should be at least 100 Mb when checked from within Windows)
- in IE: Tools>Options and clear both on- and offline items in Temporary Internet Files (that might just be the definite help).

I've searched around a little bit (with google and on these forums) and can find quite some occurrences of this problem, but no affirmed solutions. Suggestions are: do a repair of IE and check for malware. See http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6122-0.html?forumID=44&threadID=33808&messageID=390152 for example.

If you feel up to it, and can't find any other solution it might be time for a thorough search. I suggest three steps. Try all, and report your findings.

1. Go to www.mozilla.org and download and install firefox. That's a free (and rather good) browser, like IE. See if that has the same problem. If so, it points to a problem with Windows, TCP/IP software, modem or modem software, network card or drivers or the connection or - of course - your ISP, although I don't believe that. If not, it most likely is an IE related problem.
2. Download and run hijackthis. Report back ONLY the browser helper objects (BHO's) this program finds.
3. See during such a pause any program happens to be running intensively (= using a high percentage of CPU) by running a Microsoft utility called wintop. Run it, set it to always on top and start working until the problem occurs. See what it reports then. It's part of the Windows 95 kernel utilities and runs perfectly under Windows 98. You can download the whole package from http://www.microsoft.com/windows95/downloads/contents/WUToys/W95KernelToy/Default.asp

This might not be easy for newbies, but it is harmless, when done with sense. Firefox can easily be uninstalled (and you might even want to keep using it, as it is much safer then IE), hijackthis is only a reporting tool and I've never had any problem with wintop when I occasionally run it to find out something.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Do you have Microsoft Office,as this can be the culprit
by gearup / September 21, 2004 1:33 PM PDT
Collapse -
This needs some explanation, I think.
by Kees Bakker / September 22, 2004 6:33 AM PDT

You mean disabling FastFind?

Kees

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes!
by gearup / September 23, 2004 1:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Win95 PowerTools
by r-mcm / December 16, 2007 4:04 AM PST

I would be very interested in getting the Win95 Powertools (I assume this the right version for Win ME), especially WinTop, for my old but trusty notebook
(Fujitsu Siemens B2562, 256 MB RAM (max installable), P3-700MHz, Win ME).

However, probably unsurprisingly, the Microsoft link does not work.

Is there anywhere reliable I can get it?

Collapse -
This thread is real old...might be better to repost under
by VAPCMD / December 16, 2007 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: Win95 PowerTools

one of the operating systems forums.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
That was easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 16, 2007 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: Win95 PowerTools
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.