Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Overloaded -- Need Space on Existing Hard Drive

by viclea8 / October 26, 2008 12:07 PM PDT

My laptop computer is too full and I would like to delete some items. I have Windows XP on both computers. I have done a disk clean up, but there still seems to be files showing there. Also, I compared the "Add or Remove Programs" screen between my laptop and my desktop computer. There are some items on my laptop that are not on my desktop. Can I delete any of them. For instance,
(1) MSN Messenger 7.0
(2) Search Enhancements (remove only)
(3) Windows Installeder 3.1 (KB893803)
(4) Client Tools
Also, on this list I have listed (1) Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X; (2) Adobe Reader 7.1.0; and (3) Adobe Shockwave Player. The Adobe Shockwave Player is not on my Desktop. Can I delete it on my laptop without affecting the above program.

Also on my Desktop and Laptop there is a program listed as MSXML 4.0
SP2 (KB937181), and on my laptop I also have MSXML 4.0 SP@ (KB925672) and MSXML 4.0 SP@ (KB279979).

Any help will be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Overloaded -- Need Space on Existing Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Overloaded -- Need Space on Existing Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 26, 2008 12:27 PM PDT

The others I wouldn't touch yet.

Did you look up CCLEANER and see what it finds?

As to the Adobe stuff, all of that can be reinstalled.
Bob

Collapse -
Computer Overloaded - Need Space
by viclea8 / October 26, 2008 12:37 PM PDT
In reply to: 1. Yes.

Bob, thanks for your quick reply. What is CCleaner? Where would I find it?

Collapse -
While Bob's Busy, May I Offer?....
by tobeach / October 26, 2008 3:44 PM PDT

Instructions & Links for CCleaner (post #20 ):
http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=254458&messageID=2528091#2528091

Additionally, please be aware that "un-installing" DOES NOT remove the program from your computer files, therefore not much space saved.
It stops it from running but the main files still reside under C:> Program Files.

Another idea is to get a USB Flash drive (thumb drive/stick) and off load all you don't actively need such as original downloaded & saved
program files (for future re-install if need be), Photos, Music &
Video files & anything you can't replace if you had a wipe out.

These drives are very cheap now a days exp: 4 Gigabytes about $12, 8 Gb about $20. Would an extra 8 Gb of free space help? Come up to 32 Gigs!

Hope this helps. Happy

Collapse -
After Off Loading, Do a Defrag to
by tobeach / October 26, 2008 3:46 PM PDT

regain usable space. Good Luck! Happy

Collapse -
Computer Overloaded - Need Space
by viclea8 / October 29, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

The thing is I have downloaded everything off of the computer onto a USB stick. I don't understand why my computer is so full. I am going on a trip for two weeks. I leave Friday, so I don't want to do anything to mess it up. When I get back I will look into CCleaner. Thank you for everyone's help.

Collapse -
"I have downloaded everything off
by tobeach / October 29, 2008 3:39 PM PDT

...of the computer onto a USB...". Yes, BUT have you gone back into computer and actually deleted the originals of those items?? When you "send to" the USB, the originals remain, copies are sent. Until that's done, the occupied space remains the same. The items to be "deleted" will vary in their location on the machine. Some are easier to find than others (Programs will be in C: > Program files >named folders. Etc.). Happy

Collapse -
Of the items you listed
by Darrell / October 26, 2008 12:56 PM PDT

Windows Installer 3.1 is needed to update some items.MSN Messenger 7.0 if you don't use messenger you can delete that. the latest one is from WLinstaller.exe and it is MSN Messenger 8.5 and it has Windows Live Mail and it replaces Outlook Epress. The Internet Explorer has to have http://www.msn.com/ under properties. Up in the Add/Remove there are ADD/REMOVE Windows components. I cut the number of items in that list. I have 5 games that I kept, removed messenger 4.7, msn & selected the items I use in accessories. I checked my fonts and found many had rectagles and ond is is in russian script.Search Enhancements I don't use and same with Client Tools.
1) Adobe Flash Player 9 Active X; (2) Adobe Reader 7.1.0; and (3) Adobe Shockwave Player - the latest FlashPlayer is 10 and I usee Adobe Reaser 9.0 (no Shockwave Player)
I do have MSXML 4.0 and there is a 6.0
Darrell L

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!