Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98

I am running Windows 98 and something happened where the computer only boots up in safe mode. I have reloaded the operating system but that doesn't help. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98

In reply to: Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98

Jngolberg,

Sorry to ask, but are you sure it's safe mode? It too often happens that it's just normal mode with the screen resolution set to abnormally low values. Then simply restore it to what you want.

Safe mode is only safe mode if the text 'Safe Mode' appears in the corners of the desktop.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98

Thanks for responding. It is safe mode that keeps coming up. When I get the seven options to select a mode (ie: normal, safe, step by step) it will keep rebooting itself if I select normal until it goes into safe. Any ideas?

Collapse -

One (rather trivial) reason in http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q306615. That's why it makes sense to have msdos.sys read-only!

If this doesn't help, I should suggest:
1. Boot into MS-DOS (no need to explain how to do it!) and type scanreg /restore (followed by enter, as all DOS-commands are). Then choose a date that everything still worked. Good chance it's something in the registry, and this way you simply restore it to what it was. Limit, alas, 5 days ago.
2. Go into Device Manager, and see if there are unexpected exclamation marks. I think some conflicts could be the cause for this behavior.
3. Select a selective boot, and find out what item causes this problem. Then correct it. See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q192926 and http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;q188867

Method 1 I would describe as brute force. Method 3 is more intelligent, and you'll learn more from it.

I never experienced this problem myself, so it aren't my own ideas. But you'll find the source very knowledgeable. Please let the forum know what you find.

Kees

Collapse -
Addition.

A good way to find boot problems: download a program called bootloganalyser (or analyzer, I always forget).
Then from the bootmenu boot with bootlog enabled, and run this program. A few 'fails' are not exceptional, but you must have a rather fatal one.

It might help to first rename the existing bootlog.txt (in the root-folder), if it's not too old, to be able to compare the analysis of the old version and the current one.

Once you know the cause, repair might be easy.

Kees

Collapse -

In reply to: Computer only boots up in safe mode - Windows 98

Go to Start -->RUN and type in MSCONFIG and OK

System Configuration Utility window opens.

In the Startup Selection you will notice that the radio
button Selective startup is checked.

Change this to : Normal startup - load device drivers and software.

DO NOT change anything else, Clock OK.

At next restart or Start then your PC will boot as Normal

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.