Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer - Nothing Working :-(

by keh84 / September 21, 2008 10:09 AM PDT

Hi,

My computer (Windows XP Home) has recently been afflicted with a number of annoying viruses. Most recently, well the only one I know the name of, was the Antivirus XP 2008 virus. My computer was scanned using a malware program, and I thought all of the virus was removed. After doing this I used McAfee to scan for viruses to make sure everything was gone. McAfee found a LOT and after the scan was completed, there were 4 viruses that could not be removed or Quarantined. I shut the computer down ( I needed to go to work) but I was able to do things normally at that time, I thought my problems were solved.

However, when I returned this evening - I turned my computer on, the windows logo appeared, and then it took me to a login screen (which I don't usually need to do). I had no idea what my password would be so I just pressed enter and that seemed to bring success. Unfortunately, after the welcome noise sounded, the screen just went blank and never loaded - NOTHING. I pressed ctrl alt dlt NOTHING. I can't right click either. The hourglass came next to the arrow every once in awhile so i would get excited that something would happen... but again NOTHING.

I turned off and pressed F8 to get into safe mode. NOTHING. Basically the only thing i can do on my computer is turn it on and off by pressing the button, and move the mouse around the screen. That's it. Please Help Happy

Thanks so much

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer - Nothing Working :-(
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer - Nothing Working :-(
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell a little more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2008 10:12 AM PDT

Such as make, model of the machine plus what Windows XP CDs you have to work with. Also is this XP Home, Pro and what version is that CD.

Tell us if you are ready to pop a new hard disk in (so we can save your files) or do you need files saved (you didn't tell.)
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry!
by keh84 / September 23, 2008 9:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Tell a little more.

Hi, sorry I'm new to this whole thing. I have a Gateway computer with Windows XP Home edition. It is about 6 years old, but I am pretty sure I have all the CD's that came with the system. I have not backed up anything, and there are definitely some documents I would like to save; however, it is not the complete end of the world if i have to reformat the system. Sad

Collapse -
The CDs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2008 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry!

The exact CDs change what options we have here. If you have just a few files that must be saved then two common solutions I use are (a) A Linux LiveCD and (b) a parallel install.

Read http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm and you see it's not too hard and newer versions are even easier.

The parallel install as well as the "XP REPAIR INSTALL" can often give access or repair the OS. Without the exact model of those CDs I can't tell what we can use for the method. If the CDs are "Restore CDs" then we usually can't use any repair or parallel install but have to just restore the machine back to as delivered.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?