Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer not working right

by kliq / October 10, 2009 6:17 AM PDT

Hi,

I performed a low level format on my computer. My computer is a Daewoo (more details in post below) and im running Windows XP Home Edition.

Outside of the original specs the computer has had extra RAM put in (752MB now total) and extra storage has been added. These were done before formatting.

The computer is not running properly. Its running slower then it should, the mouse seems all choppy when I move it etc. I originally thought the problem was solely driver related but yesterday I found the drivers disc and installed all of them and it still is doing the issues.

I have no clue what to do. I have another computer that spec wise is clearly worse yet runs much better.

Does anybody have any suggestions??

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer not working right
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer not working right
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Specs
by kliq / October 10, 2009 6:22 AM PDT

Model Number - CT6770-C01

PROCESSOR

* INTEL Celeron D 335 2.8GHz
* INTEL Prescott CPU support for upgrade
* INTEL Hyper-Threading Technology
* Integrated 2D/3D Graphics with motion compensation
* 4X/8X AGP slot available for upgrade
* 6 Channel Audio
* 10/100 Mbps LAN Supports
* USB 2.0 supports

CHIPSET

* VIA VT8751A
* VIA VT8235

FRONT SIDE BUS

* 400/533MHz

MEMORY

* 2 x 184-pin 2.5V DDR SDRAM Socket (DDR200/266)
* System has 256MB DDR SDRAM
* MAX 2GB (DDR SDRAM)

VIDEO

* Integrated VIA ProSavage8 Graphics

3D AUDEO

* Realtec ALC655 6-Channel Audio Codec

I/O PORT

* Integrated Super I/O (FDC, LPT, COM 1/2 and IR)
* 1 x Floppy Disk Controller (Up to 2.88MB)
* 1 x VGA Connector
* 1 x Serial port
* 1 x VGA port
* 1 x Parallel port supports SPP/EPP/ECP mode
* 6 x USB Ports (Rear x 4 / Front x 2)
* 1 x LAN RJ45 10/100 Base-T
* Audio Ports (Line-in/Line-out/Mic-in port)
* 1 x Game/MIDI port connector

IDE

* Bus Master, PIO Mode 4 (-16.67MB/s)
* Ultra DMA-33/66/100/133
* 2 x 40-pin Boxed-Headers for IDEs & ATAPI

EXPANSION SLOT

* 1 x AGP 4X (0.8V, 1.5V only)
* 3 x 3.3V / 5V PCI PUS Interface

KEYBOARD/MOUSE

* PS/2 type

CASE

* ATX Tower

DRIVE BAYS

* 2 x 5.25" External
* 1 x 3.5" Internal

BIOS

* AMI "Plug & Play" BIOS
* 3M Flash EPROM
* Desktop Management Interface (DMI) 2.0 function

USB

* 6x USB Connectors

POWER

* 350 watts (ATX SMPS)
* ACPI, PCI 2.1, PC98 support
* Auto Fan Control Support
* Keyboard Password Power ON

THERMAL MONITORING

* Detect Processor temperature

Collapse -
I'd prefer you use the drivers from the machine's maker.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2009 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Specs
Collapse -
Google DMA
by Jimmy Greystone / October 10, 2009 7:40 AM PDT

Google how to change the DMA settings, because I'll bet you've run into an annoying bug with XP where sometimes a drive will randomly flip to PIO mode instead of DMA.

Collapse -
I tried and....
by kliq / October 13, 2009 3:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Google DMA

I looked af the advanced properties of the primary and secondary IDE channels. Under primary it said the current transfer mode is Ultra DMA Mode 5 for device 1 & 0. For the secondary it said Ultra DMA Mode 2 is being used for 0, and for 1 it says "Not applicable".

Does this imply its alright? Im a bit confused by the Not applicable part.

If so.....any other idea's on what could be wrong?

Collapse -
anyone???
by kliq / October 14, 2009 4:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I tried and....

Does anybody have any potential remedies? Is there anymore info I should provide? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Collapse -
RAM Mismatch
by sunwatcher / October 14, 2009 6:21 AM PDT
In reply to: anyone???

You stated that you added RAM for a total of 752MB. I'm guessing that was a 512MB stick on top of the 256MB that the PC came with, correct? A lot of problems can develop if you mix and match RAM that way. For trouble-free performance, RAM should always be matched (same manufacturer/model/speed/etc).

Try taking out the 256MB stick and leave the 512MB stick, then see if the performance improves.

Collapse -
Before I try.....
by kliq / October 14, 2009 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: RAM Mismatch

I didn't personally install the RAM. I had to take the computer to a shop a few years ago and the guy there did it. I do think that is what he did though as it originally had 256MB of RAM.

Do I just simply open it up and pull out the 256MB? Should I make changes else where to? CMOS setup??

I remember once in the past I messed around with RAM and totally messed up my computer so I want to make sure I don't forget to do anything.

Thanks

Collapse -
Removing RAM
by sunwatcher / October 14, 2009 1:01 PM PDT
In reply to: Before I try.....

I was under the impression that you had installed it just before the formatting. So if your PC had been working fine with the 752MB before, then maybe there is another issue.

Still, I would try taking out the 256MB stick. It should be as simple as pushing down on the tabs on each end of the RAM connector and popping the RAM out (with power OFF of course). The BIOS will automatically recognize how much RAM is installed, so no further adjustments are necessary.

As noted previously, you should be sure that the correct drivers (including motherboard drivers) are installed.

Let us know where you get with this.

Collapse -
Wierd turn of events
by kliq / October 15, 2009 4:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing RAM

I pulled out the sticks of RAM. There are two of them and both say on them 512MB DDR PC2700. That doesn't make sense though, as when I went to My Computer then properties before I took it out it said the computer had 752 MB of RAM.

Do I have to change something in the computer, could the sticker on the RAM be incorrect? Any advice on what I should try?

Collapse -
Test Separately
by sunwatcher / October 15, 2009 2:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Wierd turn of events

That's strange that your PC is showing 752MB when it should be indicating 1GB. Do they appear exactly identical to each other?

My suggestion - test each stick separately to see if the PC will recognize each at 512MB. No changes in the computer's settings are normally necessary, but it's a good idea to find the manual for your motherboard to determine any other requirements.

Again, be sure you have the correct drivers loaded for the motherboard.

Collapse -
Interesting
by kliq / October 16, 2009 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Test Separately

While the RAM sticks are labeled 512MB each, when I tested them individually the computer read them respectfully as 496MB and 240MB.

Also, while messing around on the computer I noticed that while it is slower then it should be doing regular things. The slowness and choppiness really comes into play is when I?m on the internet. Not sure if that helps or not, but on internet its just ridiculously slow. This page for instance takes over a minute to load, and while its loading it's all choppy and weird, while when I use another computer with lesser specs on with the same Ethernet cable its fine.

Collapse -
What should I do next
by kliq / October 19, 2009 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting

Any recommendations on what I should do next

Collapse -
Mismatch
by sunwatcher / October 19, 2009 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Interesting

The one showing 240MB is likely the original 256MB stick your system came with, so if the stick is labeled 512 it appears you may have been duped into buying non-existent RAM.

These two sticks are likely mismatched in more than just RAM size. This is likely a big part of your problem, but it's no guarantee that it's going to solve the slowness. You can start by getting the correct matched RAM for your system, and then determine if there has been any improvement in performance.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.