Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer not working properly after Avast deleted .dll file!

Hey everybody.. first post here.

Something just happened and I'm not entirely sure what. I have an HP Desktop Computer I purchased 18 months ago and my OS is Windows Vista.

Just a few hours ago I was in Tuneup Utilities 2009 and Avast popped up and said there was malware in a few different locations. I remember one of them being C:/windows/system32/vsfocetgxcpvqn.dll
I tried to send it to the chest but it said it was in use and couldn't be done. I then deleted the .dll file and a couple other ones that Avast! had said were Malware.

After I rebooted the computer the display settings had reverted back to a more standard appearance and I was unable to do anything. I couldn't open up Mozilla Firefox or any other programs. Did I accidentally delete a .dll file I shouldn't have? Is there a way I can fix that?
I'm currently in Safe Mode with networking where it appears I can do most everything (including being on the internet). I have Avast, Spybot, Ad-Awaere, and Malware Bytes (but it appears Malware Bytes does not work ever since I deleted some of those .dll files).

I am not computer illiterate by any means... but I've never had something like this happen to me before. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I ran Hijackthis and createad a log file if anybody needs me to post that at all....

Thanks in advance...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer not working properly after Avast deleted .dll file!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer not working properly after Avast deleted .dll file!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hijack this Log...

In reply to: Computer not working properly after Avast deleted .dll file!

Here is the Hijackthis! log if that even helps...

--------------------------------------------------------------

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 2:48:15 PM, on 7/27/2009
Platform: Windows Vista SP1 (WinNT 6.00.1905)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18702)
Boot mode: Safe mode with network support

Running processes:
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\TuneUp Utilities 2009\Shredder.exe
C:\Windows\system32\sfc.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\AAWTray.exe
C:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware\Ad-Aware.exe
C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\SpybotSD.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://google.com/
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=74&bd=Pavilion&pf=desktop
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://ie.redirect.hp.com/svs/rdr?TYPE=3&tp=iehome&locale=EN_US&c=74&bd=Pavilion&pf=desktop
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName =
R3 - URLSearchHook: Yahoo! ?u?

Collapse -
Yep, You've Probably Deleted A System File..

In reply to: Computer not working properly after Avast deleted .dll file!

The "" file is clearly a malware file of some type but you probably deleting a different system file which prevents the compute from functioning as it should. At this point, your best bet is to use the HP Vista disc to repair your installation. It should replace any system files that were deleted.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
HP Vista Disc?

In reply to: Yep, You've Probably Deleted A System File..

I purchased my HP at Best Buy. The "Geek Squad" looks to have 2 Recovery Discs (Recovery Disc 1 & Recovery Disc 2).
The only other discs I see is for the printer and for the monitor.

Should I use the recovery disc? I don't really want to do more than what is needed... but maybe that's what I have to do.

Collapse -
The Recovery Disc May Have Options

In reply to: HP Vista Disc?

If you don't have a full Windows Vista disc, you'll need to use the Recovery Discs which should have come with the computer. (Many newer computers require the owner to create such discs from the hidden recovery partition on the computer. )

Some recovery discs have a single option.. A "destructive" recovery which formats the disc, (wiping all data from the drive and eliminating all your personal files), then it reinstalls the operating system and all programs and drivers back to it's factory condition..

On the other hand, recovery discs may have an option to perform a "repair" installation which does NOT wipe the drive and simply repairs any missing or damaged system files.

The only way to find out is to place the first recovery disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer. There should be a menu when it starts up.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Put In Recovery Disc 1

In reply to: The Recovery Disc May Have Options

and a black screen came up saying Windows is loading files...
it took approximately 5 minutes for it to load and then it came to a new screen. It said:
-----------------------------------
System Recovery

The Recovery Manager starts from your hard disk by default but you may run this from the disc you have inserted.

What would you like to do?
** Run From Disc
** Run From Hard Drive

I chose to Run From Disc and then a new screen came up. It had an advanced options tab and I clicked on it. The new screen then said:
Advanced Options:

**Computer Checkup
**Microsoft Startup Repair Tool
**Microsoft System Restore
**File Backup Program
**System Recovery
**Factory Reset

I chose Microsoft Startup Repair Tool. It told me it would try to load windows but if it was unsuccessful it would come right back to the first page. It was unsuccessful. Do you have any suggestions? Should I run from the disc or from the hard drive? Should I run from the disc and do Microsoft System Restore... I just don't want to click on the wrong thing here.

Thanks,
Derek

Collapse -
This Should Help...

In reply to: Put In Recovery Disc 1

REcognize that you might also be able to run the same recovery from the HP hidden recovery partition..

If not, then Yep, Run From Disc... and "System Recovery" will be your next option.. See the link below for HP's Recovery Instructions for the Vista Recovery disc.(Yes, I know it says: "Notebook PC's" but the disc options should be the same as the ones you're seeing.)

HP Notebook PCs - Using the PC Recovery Solution

Or...

HP and Compaq Desktop PCs - Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista

Make sure you have backups of all your important documents.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.