Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer manufacturers offering Windows XP besides Dell?

by Big Steve / May 16, 2008 2:16 PM PDT

From what I have read Microsoft plans to no longer offer Windows XP to computer manufacturers near the end of June 2008 so I think. Besides Dell Computers are there currently any other computer manufacturers still offering Windows Home or Windows Pro XP on any of their new computers or has everyone else made the switch to Windows Vista operating systems on their new computers?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer manufacturers offering Windows XP besides Dell?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer manufacturers offering Windows XP besides Dell?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The OLPC gets XP.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2008 11:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: The OLPC gets XP.
by Big Steve / May 17, 2008 4:36 AM PDT
In reply to: The OLPC gets XP.

Proffitt:

Is that supposed to be funny? Well for those of us like myself who are very much interested in a new computer with Windows XP I'm sure you can figure that one out. You could have posted your comments in the newbee section. If there weren't so many issues with Vista people like me wouldn't be interested in XP.

Collapse -
Sorry you misread it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 17, 2008 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: The OLPC gets XP.

I have no interest in paying more for less for a laptop (hardware wise.) However if you were looking for XP laptops this does show that there are signs that XP will continue to be offered.

I did not write my opinion but hope this clears that up.
Bob

PS. Funny - See Speakeasy.

Collapse -
I asked google
by Kees Bakker / May 17, 2008 5:52 AM PDT

This was my question: LAPTOP WITH XP.

These were among googles answer besides Dell:
www.nextag.com/laptop-window-xp-professional/search-html
www.bizrate.com/laptopcomputers/products__keyword--laptop+xp+pro.html
www.bizrate.com/laptopcomputers/products__keyword--notebook+windows+xp.html

So the answer is a big YES. Pick your choice and go for it. Don't hesitate until it's too late. Then you might be forced to buy a second hand laptop, and I'm not sure that is what you want.

For a desktop (not clear from your post what you want) I found (besides Dell) http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/ca/en/sm/WF04a/12132708-12132884-12132884-12132884-12736486.html
But I'm sure your local computershop can assemble one for you.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: I asked google
by Big Steve / May 17, 2008 9:34 AM PDT
In reply to: I asked google

I would be using a new desktop to surf the web, email, word processing and some Quicken. I would like of course Windows Home XP, a 56k modem, ability to access high speed internet, integrated graphics and audio, good size HD, > 80GB but < 300GB, 2GB memory, 2 separate drive bays if possible, CDRW in one, a DVD ROM in the other, can't decide on going with a built in floppy drive or the media card reader. I won't be doing any gaming or digital photography. I have been looking at Dell's Inspiron 530 which can be configured with Windows XP, also I'm not sure on which processor to select. I have read here that a core duo 2 is better than a dual core and to not even consider a celeron. It's the processor type and speed that I don't know that much about as to which one I should select.

Collapse -
Re: new machine
by Kees Bakker / May 18, 2008 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: I asked google

- No need for 2 Gb of memory for your use of XP. 1 Gb is more than enough.
- Every CPU will do for your use, even a Celeron. A Core 2 Duo is faster, but (a) more expensive, and (b) you'll not note the difference when doing surfing, mailing, word processing and Quicken. Just throw a dice if you can't decide.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: new machine
by Big Steve / May 18, 2008 5:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: new machine

Thanks for the recommendations.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?