General discussion

Computer Malfunctioning?

by darkdragon1031 / March 28, 2005 6:09 AM PST

hello i have a problem with my computer:
windows xp sp2
2500 mhz barton athlon
asus A7V600 motherboard
200 gig wd hd

It turns off by itself. i don't think its overheating cause when i installed motherboard monitor(temperature monitor) it displays a fairly cool temp(50 c).
Before it turns off it does something weird.. the comp slows down and then 5 secs later it freezes the screen shakes a little. after that it just turns off.

if anyone with any information or clue on whats goin on it'll be a lot of help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Malfunctioning?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Malfunctioning?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Dark, Someplace To Start...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 28, 2005 6:37 AM PST

First, clean things up a little by following the procedures in the links below:

Start by downloading, installing, updating, then running ALL of the free spyware removal programs from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
hmm...
by darkdragon1031 / April 2, 2005 7:11 AM PST

thx for the tips.
i had ad aware, spybot sd and norton installed, updated and scanned already before the problem arose and i get rid of spyware and others problem pro daily.

The bios gives me this error message that goes something like this "hung for an improper cpu speed".the cpu was set at 1400 mhz at the time. i changed it to 1100, the lowest and it hasn't been acting up yet...

i have cleaned the fans and cleared it out with teh compressed air can and it doesn;t make a diff.

ill try your suggestion to rid all uneeded programs and defrag the hd and hopefully it'll work better.

thx again for the great tips =)

Collapse -
Ah, Overclocking....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 1:09 AM PST
In reply to: hmm...

...That would explain the mentioned problems. It's sounds like you got things running better now though..

Good job.

Grif

Collapse -
That's NOT overclocking
by Ray Harinec / April 3, 2005 1:22 AM PST
In reply to: Ah, Overclocking....

that CPU should run at 1.83 GHz. Of course, that is assuming that it has the correct memory installed and isn't overclocking the memory.

No wonder it was not showing overtemp running at only 1.4 GHz.

The multiplier is 11, but it takes 166 MHz DDR to run at the 1.83GHz.

My guess is that he doesn't have the correct memory.

Collapse -
Thanks Ray, You're Right...I Wasn't Paying Attention...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 1:30 AM PST

..to the original post...It's early here in California.

Grif

Collapse -
How certain are you that the MBM
by Ray Harinec / March 29, 2005 12:28 AM PST

readings arte correct??? The cover off as Grif suggested may answer that.

Many CPU's throttle down as they get too hot and then shutdown when they hit the max temp.

Got any temp limits set in the BIOS that are shutting you down too soon????

Collapse -
What speed memory is in the system
by Ray Harinec / April 3, 2005 1:27 AM PST

and what speed did you tell the BIOS that the memory is???? You may have been accidently overclocking the memory.

At 1100 MHz it presently is running the memory at 100 MHz [200 DDR]. Should be totally stable at that speed. LOL

You need DDR 333 to run the CPU at its design speed of 1.83GHz [1833MHz].

Collapse -
Ram?
by darkdragon1031 / November 12, 2005 5:47 AM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?