Computer Help forum

Computer makes noise like a grass clipper, What is wrong?

by Rayku6 / January 15, 2015 8:33 PM PST

When my pc has been off for a while, like 6 hours it will make a lot of noise when turned on. This noise will not stop until i turn the computer off again.

I usually keep restarting the pc until the noise doesn't appear. Plugging in and out cables seems to help before restarting it. I thought the GPU was the problem but the problem is still there after installing a new one. I suspect it could be the power supply or the heat sink.

When the noise appears the pc will still boot into windows like normal, i can access hard drives etc.
No noticeable problems using it except for the noise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer makes noise like a grass clipper, What is wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer makes noise like a grass clipper, What is wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Open the case,
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 15, 2015 9:25 PM PST

sounds like a fan needs looking after.

Collapse -
(NT) I've also heard hard drives sound like that.
by Ed Mead Forum moderator / January 15, 2015 9:33 PM PST
Collapse -
Heard this a million times
by Steven Haninger / January 15, 2015 9:39 PM PST

I agree with the diagnosis of a noisy fan. These make other things rattle. Too much clearance in the bushings due to wear. Sometime you can clean and lube them but any silencing of them returns eventually.

Collapse -
open the case and run
by renegade600 / January 16, 2015 3:21 AM PST

you need to open the case and turn the computer on to pinpoint the noise. until you pinpoint the noise it could be just about anything from fan to possibly loose hd mount.

Collapse -
Hard to hear, bit echo i think
by Rayku6 / January 16, 2015 9:58 AM PST
In reply to: open the case and run

Opened the case and tried to listen to every component. I can't really hear where the noise is coming from.

tried making a recording
first 10 seconds: CPU
10-20 seconds: Power supply
20-30 seconds: HDD

possibly even harder to hear from a recording.
Finding what part is broken here is the key. i can easily send it in and get a new one for free once i know which part.

If i cant hear what part is making the sound from this then maybe i should proceed to screw them out.

Can i screw the power supply out of the case and turn the computer on without damaging it?
the alternative would be to remove the heat sink to see if the noise disappears, but that may really screw up the processor.

Collapse -
Manually stop the fans one by one
by Steven Haninger / January 17, 2015 3:38 AM PST

You'll have a CPU fan and maybe others such as case fans, one for your video card and at least one for the PS. You can also just try pressing on areas of the case to see if the sound changes. If you can find the plugs for case fans and such, just disconnect them and start the PC. You won't hurt it. I wouldn't recommend shoving a sharp or breakable object into the blades but stop them at the center center hub when doing this manually. Pencil erasers work fine. Fingers do well too if you're careful enough.

Collapse -
hard drive my guess
by James Denison / January 19, 2015 6:02 AM PST

open side, use paper tube to ear and isolate what is emitting the sound.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?