Computer Help forum

Question

Computer locks up when playing a game

by Seralei / February 20, 2015 8:12 AM PST

I recently bought a game, Dying Light, and have a lot of fun with it. The problem though is that once in a while the game will freeze up on me. Depending on what was happening will change what I see color wise, but it looks like little rectangles going across the screen.

I once had this issue with Injustice Gods Among Us, but didn't really think about it. But now the issue is back again with a game that I actually really want to play.

For those that know about Dying Light and the issues it had at first, I have downloaded the latest patch which is suppose to solve MANY of the issues and reinstalled the game but to no avail.

I did a complete clean install of my video drivers to see if that was the issue, but that didn't fix it either.

I once ran the game in windowed mode to see if I could see what was wrong, and it gave me a BSOD. I believe it was a service exception. I don't remember for sure. I can play it in windowed mode sometime and see if it will give me a BSOD all over again.

I'm debating on reinstalling windows and cleaning the entire drive, maybe another driver is messing up somewhere, but I'm a bit out of ideas. I can't do a clean install yet so I figured I would ask around for help.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know! Thanks in advance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer locks up when playing a game
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer locks up when playing a game
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Hard guess given lack of details...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 8:20 AM PST

machine, OS age etc.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Ah right sorry about that.
by Seralei / February 20, 2015 11:07 AM PST

Ah right sorry about that. I totally forgot to give those

I have a windows 7, a desktop.

16GB of ram

Motherboard: 1 x ASUS M5A99X EVO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990X + SB950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Graphics card: PowerColor PCS+ AXR9 270X 2GBD5-PPDHE Radeon R9 270X 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireX Support Video Card

Processor: AMD FX-8350 Black Edition Vishera 8-Core 4.0GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Desktop Processor FD8350FRHKBOX

Collapse -
You know that sounds similar to a recent back and forth.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 11:49 AM PST
Collapse -
No luck
by Seralei / February 20, 2015 3:45 PM PST

Unfortunately that didn't help. I was hopeful.

Note, it has only ever happened with this game, and Injustice which was well over... 4/5 months ago?
I tried taking out the new RAM stick I added, which was an 8GB, and have been running it on just 8GB. But that didn't do anything either.

One thing I would like to point out though, the game froze BUT this time I was able to ctr alt del and bring up the task manager and end the process. Normally I can't even do that and have to hard reset. So maybe it's something?

It has also done it when I was doing a game recording using action. In case that helps anyone narrow it down.
I have cleaned my registry and done a disk check as well. I might take the video card out and make sure it's in properly, but I don't see it being that considering I can play my other games just fine.

Collapse -
That's a good clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2015 11:39 PM PST
In reply to: No luck

Since it's only that game, research this with game forums on that game.

" game recording " is also a source of lockups.

That is, given the story you may have a very fine machine, but are battling bugs in software.

Have you noticed that folk are having a hard time accepting that apps are still buggy?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.