Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

Computer kept restarting and eventually would not turn on

by mauporte / November 5, 2013 12:30 AM PST

Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Processor: Intel Corte i7-2600K CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUS)

So, I was playing skyrim and the computer restarted out of the blue (at first I though this was a power surge). I played again and about half an hour in, ir restarted again. I checked and the computer was a tad hot, so I decided to stop playing and even placed a fan directly at the case. I decided to stream a documentary and even set up a task for the computer to turn itself off after 2 hours. (I imagined I would fall asleep) After about 10 minutes, the computer restarted itself again. So I started trouble shooting. I closed nvidia panel, turned off the automatic restart function on my pc, opened the case and checked that every cable and card was well connected to the motherboard/power source. And about 5 restarts later (each one lasting in between 5 to 10 minutes) The computer just wouldn't start again. It shows no sign of power at all so I'm thinking it could be the power source, but It doesn't seem to explain all of the symptoms to me. Or could it be that on top of whatever's causing the computer to restart over and over again the power source also got damaged?

mauporte has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer kept restarting and eventually would not turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer kept restarting and eventually would not turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by mauporte

Collapse -
If you have seen power issues in the past
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 1:01 AM PST

You would see a cacophony of errors, symptoms and a collection of BSOD numbers. You didn't list your PSU make/model/details but I'd like to see 550 or higher Watts in a good size case with a +12V Single rail.

You can test power supplies using a Volt meter and the Green Wire test in a pinch or a PSU tester or the more common method of adding 100 or more Watts (and moving to single rail if this is not) to your NEW PSU.
Bob

Collapse -
36x34x17
by mauporte / November 5, 2013 3:15 AM PST

The case measures 36x34x17cm
PSU: KEMEX, 450W

I've had it for about a year, and no problems thus far, I make lots of renders (no animation), and would think those need more resources from the computer than playing skyrim. I don't really know much about electricity so I plan on having it tested by someone else today, I'll report back what they discover. Thanks

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 3:29 AM PST
In reply to: 36x34x17

http://mlm-s1-p.mlstatic.com/fuente-de-poder-kemex-450w-24pin-3457-MLM4260023260_052013-F.jpg seems to show a paltry 20 Amperes on the +12V leg.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4135/nvidias-geforce-gtx-560-ti-upsetting-the-250-market/16 gives me about 160 Watts for the card peak and well, it's like driving your car at 120 MPH. It may be fine for awhile.

-> It's always interesting to see clients that talk about how it worked for a year or two but since power supplies do age and weaken over time, you have to let them think it through.

If you are like our shop, we charge by the hour and the clients seem to want to pay for us to consult longer rather than swap out a cheap PSU.
Bob

Collapse -
PSU
by mauporte / November 5, 2013 5:25 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

So I should definetly change to a 600W PSU? The thing is nothing smells burnt, but I do not know if PSU's burn out or just break down.

Collapse -
As noted you can test such things.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: PSU

There is the Green Wire PSU Test (see google), PSU testers and more however those cost more than a PSU unless you run a shop and have clients that want more proof than popping in a new PSU.

In your case it's the most likely suspect but I get the feeling you would be upset if it wasn't so you may want to reconsider self repair since at the shop it takes about a minute to plug in a shop PSU for the quick test. That cost is minimal and we get a direction in under 5.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by mauporte / November 5, 2013 9:54 AM PST

Tests with new PSU worked excelent, and yeah the old was was dead. I'm glad to know the restarting problem wasn't a separate issue. I'd hate it if know I would need to start software troubleshooting now.

Collapse -
Good to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2013 1:55 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Sorry about me not giving any warranty about the answer. It sounded like the usual but given what can happen when a PSU fails, you have to take it to the bench for the test.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by mauporte / November 5, 2013 10:00 AM PST

Tests proved great. Computer was left rendering while streaming with multiple office aplications running for about 3 hours and it didn't restart itself. I'm glad to know that they weren't separate issues. The PSU fan seems less stressed as well. I understand what I did wrong with your help.

Collapse -
Answer
PS
by mauporte / November 5, 2013 12:31 AM PST

I did get a blue screen from death on the last restart, but it lasted to little and was unable to write down the error code (which I normally do)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.