General discussion

Computer keeps restarting...-Urgent- XP

Okay, I recently got spyware downloaded onto my friend's computer by clicking on some site to change my AIM buddy Icon. Anywho, I had pretty much gotten rid of the bulk of it using Adaware, Spybot, Micrsoft Anti-Spyware(Beta), and Hijack This. She gets on and clicks on some pop-up, so now theres more. Once again, a lot of it is gone, but we still get a pop-up every ten minutes or so.

I also downloaded the Windows XP updates, including SP2, and SP2 seemed to bring problems. It kept giving me an error message that said 'A Serious System Error Has Occured', but I fixed that by uninistalling SP2, then reinstalling it, and doing something else, but I forget what.

And now, for some reason, it restarts while browsing the web. Also, if the computer is idle, it seems to restart. It's not restarting a lot, but still, it shouldn't be doing that.

I checked the microsoft web site, and they gave me some instructions. I can't get online yet, though. Are there any other suggestions out there? Thanks.

-Amber

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer keeps restarting...-Urgent- XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer keeps restarting...-Urgent- XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Try this,

Go to control pannel and open power options and see it it is set to shut down in a short time slot.
if this isn't it post again.
Jim~,~

- Collapse -
system restarts

hi
check if there is any conflicts in device manager
click on start and run and type devmgmt.msc and inthe
device manager window check if any device has red x or yellow symbol
2 check if system restarts in safe mode
restart the computer and keep taping f8 and select safe mode with networking(if u have cable or dsl always on connecton only) and browse the webpages and check if system restarts

3 when the system restart do u get any message like rpc has terminated unexpectedly and needs to close and system will shutdown in 60 seconds or it simply resarts

please reply to this so that we can proceed further
please tell me whether this issue is happening installing sp2 or befor that also u had this issue

- Collapse -
Same problem, here

I installed SP2 a few months back, I'm running WinXP (I don't know what other info you need).

Here's what happens:

The computer restarts on its own, seemingly no typical 'trigger', either. Sometimes I can work for hours with no problem, other times it will restart 5 times in 10 minutes.

I disabled the 'automatic restart', and the blue error screen had this:

bugcode_usb_driver
stop 0x000000FE (0x00000002, 0xff5c0008, 0xff6fec2Cool

Any advice?

Thank you

- Collapse -
"Event"?

1. The article [Q308427] states that an "event" is any significant occurrence in the system or in a program that requires users to be notified or an entry be added to one of three logs that can help identify and diagnose the source of current system problems, or help predict potential system problems.

2. The article [Q314084] describes how to gather more information about an error message using Pstat.exe, a Resource Kit utility run from the command line that gives a picture of the processes and drivers that are currently running.

3. Access the TechNet "Windows XP Events and Errors" page, type the Source (for example, Print) and/or the Event code (for example, 20) into the ID field, then either click the Go button or simply press ENTER. -- the two most important items of information concerning an Event. When a reference is rendered, simply following the prompts for additonal information/help.

4. The article [Q307973] suggests that users configure the actions that Windows takes when a severe error (also called a fatal system error, or Stop error) occurs. Also, please read the article, "A Description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP (Q315222)," for accessing a system that will not boot normally.

CNET Forums

Forum Info