Question

Computer keeps crashing

I run a desktop with windows vista, SP2. Lately it has been having crash issues. How quickly it happens varies, sometimes it goes for a few hours, most of the time it lasts 5-10 minutes, sometimes it won't even get to the log in screen. When it crashes it seems as though all output from the computer simply ceases. The monitor resets to its 'looking for input' mode, sound cuts out, keyboard's display cuts out suggesting it loses its signal as well. I thought at first it might be an overheating issue so I added some extra cooling in the form of fans, but that doesn't seem to have an effect. I can provide hardware specs if needed. The video card is a nvidia 480 gtx, which tends to run hot which is why I thought it may be a heat problem. Other than that I would have to go back and look at what I have in it for hardware.

Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Computer keeps crashing
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer keeps crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Sounds like heat.
- Collapse -
Hadn't seen it

I hadn't seen that article. I haven't cleaned it too recently, maybe 4-5 months or so. I'll give that a shot when I get back. I have tried with the side of the case off and moved the tower next to a vent that's putting out cool air, and thought it had helped the first time I tried, the next attempt the cpu lasted a solid 2+ hours before I shut it down naturally, but it didn't reproduce the results as the next time I attempted it it crashed within 10 minutes and then refused to boot (it would make it to just prior to the login screen before it gave the same crash result).

I'll give it a good cleaning tonight and let you know if that doesn't work. If it does then thanks for the tip.

- Collapse -
Hardware specs

Was able to find my hardware list.
CPU: AMD Phenom 9750 Quad core, 2.4ghz
4 gigs RAM (can't remember what I'm using for those however)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 480 GTX

- Collapse -
Sounds troublesome.

After seeing too many like that I'd make it a warranty issue.

If no warranty, get heat sink compound so you can pull all the heatsinks and refresh them all (and clean as you go.)
Bob

CNET Forums