Computer Help forum

General discussion

computer keeps completely shutting down (no blue screen)

by lynin--2008 / February 21, 2010 12:20 PM PST

First off I have...

ACPIx64 based pc
1 TB harddrive
NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250

running on Windows Vista 64
Made by Hewlett Packard model number: p6140f
processor is a Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8200 2.33 GHZ
8 GB of RAM
with a 750 watt power supply

This is the only place I could think of who might have an answer, considering HP's customer support is (to put it bluntly) useless.

Whenever I certain games I'll be able to play intermittently and my comp will then eventually completely shutdown and go into a restart, with no warning or blue screen of death. I say certain games because it doesn't happen always or depend on the game it just happens whenever I play a graphically intense game.

Thinking it might be a heat problem I switched out the factory fan for a Thermaltake CL-P0466 SpinQ Quiet Copper Heatpipe Univrsal CPU Cooler with Blue LED for Intel LGA 775 and AMD AM2. Its the best that I could get that would fit within the constrained space. Granted it works better than the original and my system now runs at 28 degrees Celsius normally. I even open the machine and have a small fan blow into the tower, which seems to help.

But even with all this my computer still "glitches" and completely shuts down into a restart. Are there any thoughts or help that could be offered would be greatly appreciated.

And yes my drivers are completely up to date.

Thakyou for any assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer keeps completely shutting down (no blue screen)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer keeps completely shutting down (no blue screen)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tell me about power supply AMPERES.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2010 10:08 PM PST

That 750 Watt PSU likely has "rails" so list what each rail delivers in Amperes and why not try the video card on another rail?

It is still possible this machine is no gamer rig so be prepared for a new motherboard and OS.
Bob

Collapse -
damn
by lynin--2008 / February 22, 2010 5:44 AM PST

damn that's what I was afraid of

Collapse -
your probably right
by lynin--2008 / February 22, 2010 6:46 AM PST

The video card isn't able to go anywhere else and the hookup to the power supply is the only one. I guess this is a case of polishing a turd... it's still a turd.

But I learned something never buy HP... there usually crap.

Thanks for the help.

the only thing that really bugs me is that is only happens on certain games and none of the others

Collapse -
Sorry.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 8:25 AM PST
In reply to: your probably right

I couldn't determine the exact model of the video card. Many connect to the power supply and given many power supplies have RAILS I know to move to other connections and hope for more Amperes on another RAIL.

No offense intended but when we upgrade machines we may get to learn more than we bargained for. As to the HP issue I have many HPs at work and home. They are fine.
Bob

Collapse -
no prob
by lynin--2008 / February 22, 2010 8:51 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry.

eh... no offense taken. I've just never had any luck with HP's and I thought I'd take one more chance and they let me down again.

Collapse -
Try one more thing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 9:04 AM PST
In reply to: no prob

Is the make, model or a LINK available so I can examine that video card for a clue?

Collapse -
here ya go
by lynin--2008 / February 22, 2010 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: Try one more thing.
Collapse -
Those Supplementary Power Connectors
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 10:09 AM PST
In reply to: here ya go

That's what I'd check on. Are there others you can use?

" A graphics card with one 6-pin PCIe power connector is called a "150W card" because the 6-pin allows the card to draw up to 150W of power. "
http://www.bfgtech.com/bfgpower/connectors.html

At 150Watts on a +12V rail we can peg that at 13 Amperes. Now is any rail less than 20A?
Bob

Collapse -
thats all
by lynin--2008 / February 22, 2010 1:36 PM PST

I don't have any other cards and am afraid to get anything else because any bigger and it won't fit in the machine. But, the power hooked to it is the only six pin connector on the power supply, so...

I'm at a loss.

Collapse -
Then the other connections.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2010 7:20 PM PST
In reply to: thats all

I can't tell what RAILS this power supply has or ratings in Amperes per rail. Such is usually on the side of the power supply but I can't see this computer's unit. Here's another article noting the rails > http://compreviews.about.com/od/cases/a/PSUWattage.htm

Ok, if we can't move to another rail then can we change other items to another rail?
Bob

Collapse -
its a 700 watt, my mistake
by lynin--2008 / February 23, 2010 5:57 AM PST

The power supply is a 700 watt Rocketfish. The power supply that originally came with the pc was a 300 watt LITEON. I had to replace the power supply with the 700 watt to accommodate the graphics card.

http://www.rocketfishproducts.com/pc-62-3-rocketfish-700-watt-atx-cpu-power-supply.aspx

Here's the website of the product. I also looked at the power supply directly for the rail specs and there were none. I can see what you mean because when I look at the 300 watt (which I still have) it gives the rail spec.

Collapse -
Ok, SMALL SMALL WORLD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 6:12 AM PST

This p6140f has the IPIBL-LB motherboard which I'm typing from this very second. I have the d4999t model because I wanted the VTx CPU feature. I clean installed Windows 7, added a Nvidia GT 240 Zotac 1GB fanless card and the P3 Watt Meter reads 1.05 Amperes during game play so I didn't upgrade the power supply.

I didn't update the BIOS but I did on my son's similar d5000t. And what a set of hoops I had to do that. I had to temporarily install Vista to upgrade the BIOS than we installed Windows 7.

But the d5000t arrived with the heatsink attached by one lone bolt and almost no compound. It was running the fans at full tilt which is why I did the BIOS first. Later I thought this ain't right and went over the machine from stem to stern.

Ok, here we have 2 rock stable similar machines but we have only 4GB installed.

Try that. Pull it down to 4GB for a test run.

-> And you CLAIM the drivers are up to date. WINDOWS CLAIMED THE DRIVERS WERE CURRENT YET I FOUND NEWER MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS at ... intel.com
Bob

Collapse -
seems to be okay
by lynin--2008 / February 23, 2010 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Ok, SMALL SMALL WORLD.

I checked on the drivers and pulled it down to 4 gb and it seems to be working, so far.

Thanks for the help.

Collapse -
Cross your fingers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 9:10 AM PST
In reply to: seems to be okay

I've read of memory problems on this board but DON"T CHANGE A THING for awhile. Sorry I can't find the discussion about it. Ok, check into the BIOS update. It was to address the memory issues among other things but just do the research for now and see if the machine goes stable for awhile.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?