Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer just stopped working

by Garbo27 / February 18, 2008 2:29 PM PST

Alright, here's the stats on my computer

- ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe Wireless Edition AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard
- G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6000CZBOX
- SILVERSTONE ST1000 ATX12V / EPS12V 1000W Power Supply
- EVGA 512-P2-N773-AR GeForce 8600GTS 512MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

The other day, I went to power up my computer and nothing happened. It just stopped working. I don't recall any power outages or anything. Whenever I turn the power on to my PSU (not the power button on the front of the computer), the heatsink fan, video card fan, and the PSU fans start up for a couple seconds then stop. After the fans stop, I can do nothing. I try the power button and nothing. No bios. No beep indicating the computer is starting.

I first thought it was the PSU that had gone bad, but I test it on a different computer and it worked just fine. At this moment, I think it might be the mobo or the cpu but I don't want to get another mobo if that's not the problem. Are there any ways I can test to see if its one or the other?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer just stopped working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer just stopped working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The test...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 18, 2008 10:34 PM PST

When I see a dead PC I usually strip it down in stages. But in your case you may want to go all the way down to just the motherboard and the motherboard on cardboard. If that won't power up then there is one more thing to check. The CMOS battery. If it's too low, some boards will not power up.

Collapse -
Still not working
by Garbo27 / February 19, 2008 7:41 AM PST
In reply to: The test...

Ok, I stripped down the computer to just the psu, motherboard, and cpu, but I still have the same problem - which is that when I turn on the psu, the heatsink fan turns on. I noticed that if I have the 4-pin power plugged into the mbd as well as the 24 pin power that the fan will start then stop after about 2 seconds. I'm not really sure why the fan would even start if never hit the power button. I did reset the CMOS battery by pulling it out and then waiting a couple minutes, then I put it back in. I just didn't know if there was some way to figure out if the problem is the mobo or the cpu without replacing one or the other. Thanks.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2008 8:27 AM PST
In reply to: Still not working

I meant motherboard and PSU on cardboard. No CPU or case is needed for this down to 2 item test. All that I expect is to be able to power up and down the PSU via the power on switch.

If that works I add the cpu, heatsink and the speaker. If it doesn't beep in protest I am looking at the 4 possible bad parts.

As to the 4 pin connection. That's called the ATX12V connection and should never be removed as it's part of the power to the motherboard.

Collapse -
It possible could be your computers power supply
by CjazzRun / April 14, 2013 2:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the typo.

Power supplies sometimes will gradually lose power. Some Graphic cards have minimum power supply requirements

Collapse -
Like to add...
by Willy / February 19, 2008 12:37 AM PST

Robert covered what needs to be done, that reduction of the system is the best to help pin-point possible bad component to include mtrbd. or psu. Even though you have a decent psu, a voltage rail could have blown. Cooling is important if that was a contributing factor in the system failure, do review that once the system is up and running. Excessive heat will stress componets and psu. The psu loses output stability and the componets get flaky. I tend to lean towards a bad psu, but again anything can be iffy. If you have access to a 2nd system, use that as a test bed.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?