Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer Is Running Very Slowly

by sunshinek85 / September 7, 2008 8:44 AM PDT

My computer has been running very slowly lately, so much to the point where I don't even use it, I'm typing this from my laptop. It was fine until I installed rocketfish bluetooth adapter on it, I did uninstall the software but my desktop is still running slow. There aren't any viruses or malware but I've done I don't know how many scans, and nothing has popped up. So I was wondering if anybody had any tips so I could keep my computer running smooth again.

Specs: Dell Dimension 2350, Intel Celeron 2.0 GHz, 1GB of memory, two hard drives one 40 GB, the other 250GB, verizon fios wi-fi internet with a ZyXel G-220 v2 adapter, Windows XP Service Pack 3

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Is Running Very Slowly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Is Running Very Slowly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Defraged C: ? How much disk space free on C: ?
by VAPCMD / September 7, 2008 9:18 AM PDT

Checked what's running in your startup ? See Start, Run, MSCONFIG and hit enter.

Collapse -
Did Defrag
by sunshinek85 / September 7, 2008 9:24 AM PDT

Yes I have defraged my C: twice and it's still running slowly, I will check my start up to see what's going on, thanks. and on the 40GB drive there is over 22GB of free space and on the 250GB there is over 223GB free.

Collapse -
CPU Usage
by sunshinek85 / September 7, 2008 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Did Defrag

Also my CPU usage when I pull up task manager is always a 100%

Collapse -
OK...try msconfig and see what's running ...bet it's
by VAPCMD / September 7, 2008 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: CPU Usage

a lot more than you think .

Another thing to try is CCLeaner.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
no luck
by sunshinek85 / September 7, 2008 12:20 PM PDT

Well I tried everything you said and its still running slow, guess I just need a new tower, because this is 6 years old and mostly doesn't have enough power anymore, but its just puzzling because it was fine before I installed the rocketfish bluetooth adapter and now it's terrible. thank you anyway for the advice

Collapse -
Try the old DMA flip.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 12:24 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks anyway
by sunshinek85 / September 7, 2008 1:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Try the old DMA flip.

I tried that and both the primary and secondary are set on DMA mode, so thanks anyway and I've done scans with malwarebytes anti-malware

Collapse -
by sunshinek85 / September 7, 2008 1:16 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks anyway

Seems like I'm going to get a new tower if my brother can't fix it

Collapse -
Just so you know. Looking is not enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2008 11:14 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks anyway

The displayed DMA may not match what is really going on. If you did not flip the channels as noted in the article to PIO and back PER THE ARTICLE then you may have left an quick fix undone.
Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!