HolidayBuyer's Guide

Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer is freezing on start up

by Darlindebe / October 17, 2007 2:22 PM PDT

I am running Windows XP, on Dell E310. I run AVG Virus and I had Nortons on here but didn't renew virus updates. But still have it on computer. WHen I got up this morning it had updated AVG virus and prompts you to restart computer for updates to take effect. I did. Now the computer will not do anything, it goes thru loading windows and all, gets to my desktop and thats where the cursor goes busy and I can't do anything. My taskbar wont come up or I can't even go to start menu to log off. I have to shut down with button. I ran in safe mode and downloaded SPYBOT Search and Destroy and fixed the problems it found. Rebboted and it is still doing what it was. I cant run in Safe Mode with networking. Where do I look next. Oh yea and I also had run a Virus scan with AVG.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer is freezing on start up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer is freezing on start up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Darlindebe
by tomron / October 17, 2007 2:43 PM PDT

I have avg anti virus and was never prompted to restart for updates to take effect.

Collapse -
Restarting.
by BrianZachary / October 17, 2007 3:20 PM PDT

I don't have an answer to your problem. I just wanted to ask if you tried pressing the windows button on your keyboard to make the taskbar and Start button appear so you can click on it to restart that way. You can also use Task Manager to restart. It's better than doing a hard shut down, if it will let you.

Collapse -
Its working now
by Darlindebe / October 22, 2007 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Restarting.

I did the Spybot Search and Destroy and then had to go back and do a normal startup and go back to MSCONFIG and set to normal start up. Did that rebooted and all is well

Collapse -
That's good.
by BrianZachary / October 22, 2007 2:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Its working now

Glad you got it working. Let's hope it stays that way.

Thanks for letting us know.

Collapse -
its not working again....grrrrrrrrrr
by Darlindebe / October 23, 2007 1:09 PM PDT
In reply to: That's good.

I have no idea what is going on. It worked fine for a few days and when I got up this morning and went to check email , AVG had updated again and I was prompted to restart for updates to take effect. Thats when it starts to freeze again....I tried to uninstall Nortons but can only do things in safe mode and you can't uninstall in safe mode. But I can't get into normal startup cause it freezes. I am so frustrated....

Collapse -
To Uninstall Norton....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 24, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

....try restarting into Safe Mode, then click on Start-Run, type "msconfig" (without the quotes), then click on OK. Once the System Configuration Utility loads, then click on the "Startup" tab, then UNCHECK the boxes next to the AVG and Norton entries. Click on Apply, OK, etc, then restart the computer..

It should now allow you to start in "normal" Windows where you can uninstall any program you want.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Virus
by crude4u / October 23, 2007 8:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Its working now

Did S&D find any viruses? If so then I might suggest (at the risk of pissing some people off) dumping Norton and getting a current version of McAfee Viruscan. I have to say that I have lots of friend who have had Norton and for some reason they seem to always have problems with viruses. I have had McAfee for nearly 16 years now and the only time I ever got a virus was when I turned of my Viruscan at the suggestion of some on-line tech who couldn't figure out if I had a firewall problem or if my McAfee was keeping something from working. I turned it off and then forgot to turn it back on. However as soon as I turned it back on and did a scan, McAfee found the problem, cleaned it and I was done. I know there are a lot of Norton users out there but most of them got there Norton as part of an OEM package and then just never changed.
I've paid to renew mine every year and I feel it's the best investment I've made to the health of my computer.
Just a thought.

Collapse -
Removing security files are a bear
by Dango517 / October 17, 2007 5:41 PM PDT

Check with Norton for uninstallers to remove these files. They may have to be removed by hand, again check with Norton about procedures. Be careful if you have to remove them from the registry. No slip ups here or you may have to reboot.(this thread not tracked)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.