PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer is confused...

by LimitlessVelocity / January 7, 2006 2:20 PM PST

I have been using an old IDE 80 GB HDD with a laptop
HDD (20 GB IBM Travelstar)with 2.5 to 3.5 HDD converter...One of my old systems burned up so I canibalised ALL of it into the other old one. I plugged the same 2 HDD into that system with along with a Maxtor 40 GB IDE and inexplicably the system recognizes the 2 of them as gibberish in the BIOS registering as a single 97 GB. I dont have RAID on this system. System is a Celeron 750 MHz, 256 RAM,Win XP, 1 IDE 40 GB HDD, LG DVD-Burner and the drives in question...Anyone has any ideas on why?

Thanks in advance...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer is confused...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer is confused...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Trouble Shooting
by HotRoderX / January 8, 2006 12:12 AM PST

I would start bye checking the drives to make sure they are setup for Master and Slave. The reason for this is I have found not all older system like Cable Select. If that did not work my next step would be to try each drive individually just in cause one of the drives was damage when the computer dyed. If one or both of the drives do work it more then likely an issue with the computer trying to run all 3 drives in this case I would take the two biggest drives and hook them up. If that still did not work I would try changing out the IDE Cables if I was still having problem?s I would try Using a different hard drive out of a working system if that one works it a issues with the hard drives out of the old system if that one does not work it more then likely a issues with the IDE on the Motherboard.

Collapse -
Thanks...
by LimitlessVelocity / January 8, 2006 4:57 PM PST
In reply to: Trouble Shooting

Thanks a lot....It was a jumper setting...I had 2 slaves on the same IDE channel...Silly me.

Thanks.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!