Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer hung and now I'm getting mem error

by dakkon76 / September 7, 2006 12:45 AM PDT

I was playing some game last night, hit escape while watching an in-game movie and my system just hung. I rebooted and it took about 30 seconds to log on.

Now my system is acting like it has low memory. I have no sound, my start bar at the bottom is entirely gone. I can run large apps with no problems at all and they don't act funky, but if I try to open a file in my video player, I get the message "Can't perform operation, low memory."

I've got my virtual mem settings set to 512 - 1024 and have never had trouble. I tried setting them higher to see if the problem would go away, but it hasn't. I'm completely dumbfounded on this one and it's driving me nuts!

XP Pro
Free HDD Space: 9+ GB

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer hung and now I'm getting mem error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer hung and now I'm getting mem error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) System restore to the day before.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 12:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
System restore doesn't work
by dakkon76 / September 7, 2006 12:56 AM PDT

When I try to run system restore I get the message:

''System restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer, and then run system restore again.''

Collapse -
Then XP REPAIR INSTALL may be in your future.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 7, 2006 1:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Here's some more detailed info on my troubles...
by dakkon76 / September 8, 2006 2:47 AM PDT

Sorry, I do have SP2 installed.

I looked in event viewer but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I can see the application error on 9/6 which is what caused this whole problem.

After that in the app log I see a ton of warnings, source says Userenv. Also an error, source winlogon, and 2 errors with msinstaller which I think are from me trying to uninstall a few things I was worried may be the problem.

Right now I'm able to access the Internet, I'm on the PC right now. I can open apps and everything and it doesn't appear to be chugging like it's low on memory. I can even start up some of my games (BF2 and such) which wouldn't be possible if I didn't have a ton of memory available. They start up just as fast as they did prior to the problem.

Here are some symptoms I have right now:

1. No Start menu/task bar -- nothing at bottom of the screen.
2. No Sound whatsoever
3. Cannot copy or paste text or files
4. Cannot even drag and drop anything... why I try to drag drop, it doesn't even pick the item up, it won't move at all.
5. No java functionality in IE
6. Cannot burn CDs, I get the error: "An error using COM/OLE occurs. Please check the installation of COM on your computer"

It just seems completely hosed, and the problem is I can't burn a slipstreamed CD even if I'm able to make one.

I've got XP slipstreamed with SP1 on it. Can I use this and slipstream SP2 into it following the same directions? I would assume this is possible? If so, maybe I can use a buddy's computer to make the slipstream CD to attempt a repair if nothing else seems to work?

Any further help would be greatly appreciated.

Any other suggestions

Collapse -
Yes, you should be able to slipstream that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 8, 2006 2:52 AM PDT

While interesting my only new thought is to create a new user account, login to that new account and see if it's a PROFILE issue.

You don't want to know about troubleshooting profile issues. I've found tools lacking in that respect. But do try another account.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?