Question

Computer/Home network - can't access google/youtube

So recently at home my computer has been acting slower than usual. It is a dell inspiron 530 which is hooked up to our Motorola SBV5121XM cable modem. On this computer you can not access certain website such as google, youtube, and a variety of other random sites which usually have a search feature (I am stuck using lycos). Also these same sites cannot be accessed on any devices that are connected to the internet via WiFi on this entire network (iPads, cell phones, laptops). When I try to ping these sites the requests usually time out. I am trying to figure out if this is a network or a computer bug. If someone can please help me, let me know what diagnostics to put up and please let me know what I can try. Thank you!

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Computer/Home network - can't access google/youtube
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer/Home network - can't access google/youtube
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
There are too many causes. But's let's start.
- Collapse -
This definitely helped but...

Hey Bob, thanks so far for the help but this may be a more serious issue that just trojans, spyware, etc. I really think there is a problem with the network.

I did everything on his post, actually I even had MBAM and rkill already on a flash drive I needed to fix my laptop once. This definitely helped with the slowing down issues of my home computer but I still cannot access certain cites on any devices on my home network. I have even brought my ipad elsewhere to make sure I can get on google, gmail, youtube, and other sites on it from other networks and it works fine.

If you could instruct me on how to check if Norton 360 is blocking these on my network that would be great or if you had any other ideas I am of course open to any suggestions.

Also if you need me to run any diagnostics let me know and I will post them ASAP.

- Collapse -
The only check I use with Norton is to uninstall it.

Sorry but after being burned by them too many times, that's all I even do now. If there is another way, I let Symantec support it.
Bob

- Collapse -
Answer
I think possibly ...

that this statement of yours might be the key - "Also these same sites cannot be accessed on any devices that are connected to the internet via WiFi on this entire network (iPads, cell phones, laptops)."

If this is limited to your network it is likely that the sites are being blocked by the router. Check the router's settings to see if someone has set it to block URLs or key words.

If you have never changed the router's username and password from its default it would be relatively easy for anyone to log onto the router and change things to their heart's content.

If those iPads and phones, etc. can access the sites when connected to other networks you can be pretty sure it is the router causing the blockage.

- Collapse -
Answer
I had a similar issue, perhaps this may help :)

I had a similar issue with another computer that couldn't access any search sites, it was due to a "host" file that was somehow blocking sites from being accessed the moment after I used them to do a search. Hopefully it may solve your problem also or at least can give you ideas on where to look and what can be done to resolve it.

Computer help forum: www.google.com or any other search engine wont load

CNET Forums