Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Computer help! = Internet connection

Ok this may not make much sense because I dont no much about computers but i'll try to explain this as clearly as I can..
Here we go.. Ok I'm having trouble with my internet connection with one of my computers.. Once I plug the cable into the back of my cpu, It keeps saying something like " limited or no connectivity" but once I unplugg the cable and connect it into the back of my laptop, the net works perfectly and doesnt say "limited or no connectivity".. I dont no why it wont work on my other computer.. I dont no if its the cpu itself or its the internet conncetion

I tried clicking "repair" but no luck.

Help is greatly appreciated!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer help! = Internet connection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer help! = Internet connection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: limited of no connectivity

In reply to: Computer help! = Internet connection

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=892896 notes how to turn the message off, and gives some general causes. But I'm afraid it's rather ununderstandable and no real help if turning the message off doesn't help. Sorry for that.

Kees
Collapse -
motherboard???

your RJ-45 connection on the motherboard may be faulty. Try a new PCI NIC card (around $10). Don't worry about showing two connections on the system tray. One of them (motherboard) will be crossed out. Let us know.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
Useful Site

Collapse -
Hello

Hi, I have seen this problem before and there are a few common causes. 1. Does your computer have a firewall/ internet security program? 2. If your computer has been online without virus/spyware protection, it could be infected and sees the connection but, can't acquire the IP address. 3. In some cases ( about 5%) trying a different cable has worked. Did this connection ever work and then you lost connectivity or is this a new setup (ie: you just switched from dial-up or bought a router)? You didn't mention if you use DSL or Cable and whether a router is involved. Also, how many network connections are in your "Network Connections" icon. Oh yeah, the port your plugging into is located on the motherboard which resides in your tower. Many people mistakenly call their tower their cpu. It is actually confusing to people who work on computers to have someone call up and say they are having problems with their cpu or their modem when they are talking about their tower.

Collapse -
Try This!!

In reply to: Hello

I have dealt with this a number of times.
First you want to know if you are getting a valid IP address go to START>PROGRAMS>ACCESORIES>COMMAND PROMPT then in the black dialogue box type IPCONFIG and push enter. If your ip addres is anything like 169.254.XXX.XXX then that is normally not a valid ip address and could have some form of spyware or malware on the system.
For a temporary solution you can Unplug the power to your DSL/Cable router it is important that you unplug the power. Close out the command prompt and then go to START>RUN and type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt this will flash a black dialogue box and then you want to completely power down your computer, when both items Router and PC are turned off, plug back in the Router and wait for the router to get fully operational no blinking lights, then turn your PC back on wait a few moments to completely boot up. Do not click anything until you go to START>RUN and type ipconfig /renew. Then wait about another 30 seconds or so and you should be able to get on the NET again.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;299357

Usually the cause is keyloggers such as IST slotchbar and the likes, spyware, malware,adware.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
T

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!