Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer having Spasms

by law_john / April 6, 2005 2:02 PM PDT

Last night I plugged in an Aiptek Pocket DV4500 camera into my computer, installed the driver, and left the pc running for one hour. When I came back there was a blue screen error (sorry but i do not have the error code) but it did say recent hardware changes (the camera?) may have caused the error. Then I restarted it and let it sit for 2 hours (it has ran for longer time before). When I came back it had shut itself off so I opened it up blew some dust out and it started up okay but with no video and I pushed Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut it down. Then I unplugged the video card, cleaned it, plugged it back in and the computer still had no video. Now, when I trie to turn it on it turns on for a second and then shuts off, and turns on, and shuts off. Could this be a power supply issue?

XP Pro SP2
Intel 3.0ghz
512mb ram
20 pin power supply on 24 pin motherboard, the pc has run fine like this for three months and it will accept 20 pins but they are not recommended

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer having Spasms
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer having Spasms
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you remove it properly?
by damasta55r / April 6, 2005 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer having Spasms

You have to eject it first. If not, you could've deleted your data, so there would be no video would there?
Roger

Collapse -
Yea, I have done it before
by law_john / April 6, 2005 10:26 PM PDT

and it doesnt hurt the system. Video isnt my main concern though, getting the pc to turn on right is.

Collapse -
Replace p/s unit
by Willy / April 6, 2005 11:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer having Spasms

I would replace power supply and not play with the orginal one anymore. Doing so will probably stress the system even more if not already. Its possible adding the camera was the last straw and it took down a power leg in the process. Your bios maybe set to reboot upon error or the p/s unit itself just doesn't cut it period anymore. replace and go from there.

tada Happy -----Willy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.