HolidayBuyer's Guide

Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

computer has many issues

by jchew12 / October 16, 2006 10:57 PM PDT

windows XP SP2
ok, this all started when i install spysweeper newest version, i have read many things about this newer version after i installed it, that it was messing up peoples computers, freezeing them and what not. I have contacted spysweeper and they gave me a tool to completly remove it from my system, i did that, still had issues, so i don't even use spysweeper anymore.My problem: computer will take its time loading programs, Norton virus, opens but is blank in the area with all the info,internet explorer doesn't work but firefox works fine for the internet, computer will eventually lock up and I have to push the restart button,loads up with the same issues,some programs don't even come intill later when trying to start them, when i try to restart, it freezes on "saving your settings" part, so i have to push the restart button again, windows media doesn't work, some programs work others don't and just get locked up, what is funny is that after all the rebooting it sometimes goes back to normal and its works like its suppose to,Fast as ever like it never had any probelms, IE works everything runs amazing. so its off and on issue, I have cleaned everything out of my registry that says spysweeper or webroot, still has issues and I have no idea what this is, i have scan for virus, nothing...windows defender..nothing...clean up utlities--nothing...I have no idea why its off and on and not all the time....i have been battling with this since i installed that newer version of spysweeper...what else can i do? please help!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer has many issues
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer has many issues
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Info needed
by Themisive / October 16, 2006 11:03 PM PDT

Quite a few of us would like to help, however it's usually next to impossible without any info. If you have a look on my profile you'll see what info we really need.

It may be a good idea to do the same yourself, but don't forget to update it when you update your system. At least that way when you need help - and we all do at times - all you need to do is say "for system specs, see my profile", and we'll know where to get the data.

Collapse -
thanks....
by jchew12 / October 17, 2006 12:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Info needed

i will have to get that info to you soon,

Collapse -
OK
by jchew12 / October 17, 2006 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Info needed

i have all that you should need in my profile, after i was dealing with this again tonight(it would hang up on all programs and then they would come up much later, basically it seemed that just one program tied up all the other programs at once, and they wouldn't start unless i killed it in ctl-alt-del and even that would come up right) I had to turn off my computer with the hard drive button. when i pressed it to turn it on, it wouldn't recognize my monitior(that happens sometimes, not sure why)so i have to turn it off again with the harddrive button, I did..and then BAM it works amazing again, all fast and IE works everything seems normal. I know the problem is not gone....its still there...waiting intill i restart again..and of course i will have to..what do you think is wrong? Is this all really becasue of spysweeper?
thanks,
josh

Collapse -
Let me narrow that down a little.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 11:10 PM PDT

"My problem: computer will take its time loading programs, Norton virus, opens but is blank in the area with all the info,internet explorer doesn't work but firefox works fine for the internet, computer will eventually lock up and I have to push the restart button,"

The "take its time loading" is usual Norton scanning the files for pests during the load or the usual need to flip the IDE channels to PIO and back to DMA. This flipflop procedure is simple.

1. Open Device Manager.

2. Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

3. Right-click the icon for the channel to which the device is connected, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

4. In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:
? Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.
? Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available.

(source microsoft.com)

I can't cure the Norton scanning slowdown issue. That's your choice and Symantec's code.

Bob

Collapse -
About shutdown issues. Link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2006 11:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by jchew12 / October 17, 2006 11:16 AM PDT

but the norton never comes up when my computer is having its issues, it just stays blank, i check those settings and they all seem fine
thanks,

Collapse -
Checked or flipped?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 11:31 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I always wonder how to convey this procedure. Your choice here but Microsoft wrote how to ensure it's at the best DMA setting but then again you looked.

Wish I could get this done for you.

Bob

Collapse -
hey
by jchew12 / October 17, 2006 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Checked or flipped?

what excatly is the DMA mean? I checked those from what the other person wrote and they seem fine from what he stated to me...thanks for your help!
josh

Collapse -
Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: hey

It's a bug. If you want the best DMA mode (there are many) you flip it. If not you just look.

Hey, your choice. I won't write more.

Bob

Collapse -
so
by jchew12 / October 17, 2006 1:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Why?

this DMA mode what is it? and how did i flip it in the first place?Im not sure what your response is suppose to mean? Why won't you write more? I came on here for help..
Thanks,josh

Collapse -
More help
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 10:16 PM PDT
In reply to: so

DMA is a system that allows memory to be controlled without passing through the CPU. This link explains a little more;
http://www.tech-faq.com/dma.shtml

What Bob means;

Bob asked you to "flip" the DMA option. He didn't ask you to check the setting, but to flip it, ie, if the DMA setting is already on, de-select it, click OK to tell WIndows to accept the change, then return to the setting to re-select it and click OK again.

Flipping DMA sometimes helps with problems similar to yours.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Great! Thanks for your help
by jchew12 / October 18, 2006 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: More help
Collapse -
Why I won't write (much) more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2006 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: so

I've offered this nugget many times. After the first few dozen times I've decided to stop writing the long version.

You could help explain why you don't do this since Microsoft wrote "Windows XP downgrades the Ultra DMA transfer mode after receiving more than six CRC hy can't you geerrors. Whenever possible, the operating system will step down one UDMA mode at a time (from UDMA mode 4 to UDMA mode 3, and so on)." You're never sure which DMA is being used so this flip gets us back to the fastest one.

Bob

Collapse -
thanks
by jchew12 / October 18, 2006 12:13 AM PDT

just trying to understand all this info,
i will check it out
josh

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 18, 2006 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

I had copy/pasted the text from Microsoft and failed somehow.

Hope you can get this done.

Bob

Collapse -
There is a way out-
by Papa Echo / October 16, 2006 11:12 PM PDT

Your system has changed due to the installation of spysweper (new version). Uninstalling it did not help. So- run System Restore to roll back to when it was before.

Collapse -
thanks, but
by jchew12 / October 17, 2006 12:07 AM PDT
In reply to: There is a way out-

i forgot to mention, that i did that a long time ago when i first got the issue, did not work

Collapse -
I would
by phantazy / October 17, 2006 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks, but

Uninstall Norton using the appropriate Symantec tool. Then see if you still have shut down issues. My opinion is that Norton has not been ideal since the 2003 version, and I would not use it, or Spysweeper. Just my opinion.
phantazy

Collapse -
To jchew12
by Themisive / October 18, 2006 12:54 AM PDT
In reply to: I would

Get a good anti-spy system (but try to steer clear of Norton), then download Ewido from www.ewido.net, load it and update if necessary, the same with your anti-virus system.

Log off the 'net and run a full anti-virus scan deleting any vius found and then re-boot to safe mode, now run a full scan with Ewido, delete anything Ewido finds, then re-boot to normal mode.

You should find your system runs considerably quicker than before. Try downloading Lavasoft's Ad-aware, and Spybot S & D, you could also look at SpywareBlaster to protect the registry; as far as the anti-virus is concerned, try to get one of the good anti-virus suites that incorporate a firewall.

Ewido is the full version but reverts to a free version after 30 days, Ad-aware is the same and Spybot and SpywareBlaster are both free.

Keep all the programmes updated and run regular checks with them, that should keep your machine clear of pests.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks for the info, i will check it out!
by jchew12 / October 18, 2006 2:45 AM PDT
In reply to: To jchew12
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.