General discussion

Computer has delay finding files and folder on first try

Symptoms
Delayed folder and file manipulations using Windows Explorer (not Internet Explorer). If I try to download anything, it?s seems like the system is looking a long time to open the file system. However, once a file is downloaded, it downloads normally. Slow finding and saving documents from MS Word. All programs from desktop icons slow to open. Once in a while, the letter display doesn?t keep up with my typing. Sometimes II get a pop-up saying the script has stopped responding, then the computer hangs.

My system
Make: Hewlett Packard
Model: Pavilion 750n
Processor & speed: Pentium 4, 1.6 GHz
SD/RAM: 768 (upgraded form 512 MB)
Used space ? 17.3 GB, free space ? 57.1 GB
Do not know anything about internal hardware ? uncomfortable about removing cover and looking inside if I even knew what I was looking at. I bought this used desktop system a little over a year ago, but the last few months have had problems with slow operation. No disks were included, so I can?t re-install OS or run scannow.

Security Software
Computer Associates security suite includes anti-virus, anti-spyware and a firewall
SpyBot updated weekly and scanned monthly
CCleaner ?scanned daily
ATF cleaner- scanned several times a week
I do not have AdAware ? I tried it and it too so long to download and run, I uninstalled it.

Browser
I use mainly Firefox (currently 3.6.12), Internet Explorer 6.0 also available, but not used much

What I have done so far
Run all scans with security software.
Defrag of hard drive
Ran Windows error checking program
ran chkdsk

Results
no viruses, spyware or other errors discovered

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer has delay finding files and folder on first try
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer has delay finding files and folder on first try
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
About Spybot. About opening your PC.

Spybot has fallen out of favor as it's teatimer can conflict with many security suites. I suggest you uninstall it and move on to one of Grif's favorites listed at:
http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6121_102-378815.html

Your aversion to opening the case is a clue the machine is not getting it's yearly cleaning. Here's a video on that:
http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11319_7-6240575-1.html

You write about many common software scans but XP on such a machine can degrade the IDE mode. Don't fret as this is easy to solve and no reboot required as noted at link:
http://winhlp.com/node/10

Bob

- Collapse -
One other thing

I would say Bob has nailed the diagnoses in his own post, but I noticed you mentioned MS Word.

Is this computer connected to a any others, eg in a Home Network? If so, are any of the hard drives in those other computers 'mapped' to this computer? Such mapping may cause apparent freezes as Explorer attempts to find the mapped drive but that other computer is switched off or not connected to the network.

Mark

CNET Forums

Forum Info