Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Hang! Pls Help!

by andy_pipu / September 10, 2005 3:44 AM PDT

Hi,
My problem is when I click on a page, it will jam and have a sound 'cick...', then I have to move my mouse around quickly, then it will be fine and go to the next page. But some time when I click again, it will hang down there on that page, so I have to shut down my computer. I have reformat my hard disk but still the problem still come again. I found out that my CPU Usage sometime always went up to 100% when I play my MP3 and check my e-mail, then my music starts to 'jam jam jam...' every thing goes very slow and sometimes Hang. Can someone pls give me some advice on this Computer Hang problems? Thanks!

P.S. My PC is running on WINDOWS XP PRO SP-2 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 1.60GHz, 256MB of RAM.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Hang! Pls Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Hang! Pls Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Computer Hang! Pls Help!
by Themisive / September 10, 2005 6:25 AM PDT

There's one thing I can suggest straight away. You say you are running XP Pro SP2 with only 256Mb RAM. Try upgrading that to at least 512Mb, and if you use the computer for games and graphics programmes like Adobe Photoshop, you'd be better off with nearer 1Gb.

It could also be a heat problem, as it only shows up you say when you use your MP3 player. There are many other things it could be, like a power supply that's needing to be upgraded (a lot of them are the ones supplied by the maker, and are only capable of 250 Watts in most instances) you may need to upgrade to a 350 or even a 450 Watt model, dust on your CPU fan and in the CPU heatsink slots - as I said, many things. One good thing, if it's just heat, try running the machine with the side cover off for a while and see if the performance gets better, if it does, check out the CPU fan and heatsink; AND get more RAM.

Collapse -
Thanks
by andy_pipu / September 13, 2005 6:50 PM PDT

Thanks for your advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.