Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer had blue screen and shut down, other problems

I was on my computer, self built with windows xp service pack 2, and all of the sudden without warning, I received the blue screen saying there was a hardware issue and it has to be shut down, then it disappears very quickly and restarts. It kept restarting itself before I could do anything. I fiddled around with it a bit and managed to get it back up now but its starting up without the programs I had on start up before (its starting random programs) and its not giving me any internet or showing any internet connections. It also changed the theme I had to classic xp which now is the only option. My system restore got turned off somehow and I cannot do any type of restore. The whole computer is only about a month and a half old. What do I do to fix all these problems?

I have an AMD Athlon 64 4600+, ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe AM2 Motherboard, EVGA 8600 graphics card, hitachi 250 GB sata hd, gskill 2 gb ram, all new and have worked for about a month and a half

I have not installed any new hardware or software lately.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer had blue screen and shut down, other problems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer had blue screen and shut down, other problems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
there are also several other problems

In reply to: Computer had blue screen and shut down, other problems

it seems like none of my programs will work properly and my sound drivers are messed up as well. I have my old drivers on my external hard drive but my computer isn't recognizing it and bringing it up for me to access it. am I screwed since system restore was turned off somehow?

Collapse -
Since No Programs Are Installed..

...and it's only a month and half old, then why not simply start from scratch to format and reinstall Windows? If the problem occurred because the hard drive is faulty, then the format or the reinstall will not take place correctly..

And before reinstalling, you can research and verify that all your drivers are updated and installed correctly during the reinstall.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Problems,restart, etc.

What do you have for security software? Possibility that you picked up a bug of some kind. There are viri out that will create similar scenarios, one was called the SASSER and there were several variants of that one. Suggest disabling your internet connection and sweep the system(assuming that you can boot to windows)also assuming that you have some reasonable security software installed.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.