Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer Goes BLACK!!!

by ssdtanay / October 15, 2007 8:32 AM PDT

I got a Dell Computer that is 2 years old. I have been using it for everyday works in the internet, like watching movies or listening to radios. I also work with animation using that but I am having problem with the computer for a couple of months.

First, when I watch movies or videos and if i am watching it in full screen, the screen becomes black and then from full screen, it becomes regular screen. When I had 2 or three programs running and one of them is movies or any kind of audio, the minimized windows gets maximized and the computer makes a CLICK sound from inside, not from the sound box. I have noticed that it happens after 20-30 minutes. But only if the mouse is being untouched. for example when I am surfing in the internet, the computer blackness doesn't happen. But if I am watching a movies, then the blackness happens.

Today when I was watching a video from Youtube in full screen, between 20-30 minutes the screen went black and then the full screen became minimized to the regular Youtube screen and then the page refreshed by itself, starting the video from the beginning. It can't be virus, I think because I have Spyware Doctor and Norton Antivirus checking the system everyday. I think that the blackness have to do something with the clicking sound.

More Information About My Computer

System: Microsoft Windos XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

DELL
Dell Dimension Dimension 3000
Intel(R)
Pentium(R) 4
CPU 2.80GHz
2.79 GHz, 512 RAM

If anyone has the same kind, please reply in this topic.
Thanks..........

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Goes BLACK!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Goes BLACK!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I suggest
by Willy / October 15, 2007 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer Goes BLACK!!!

The video card or port is probably "overstressed" and it blinks/blanks out" for a moment then recovers with the small default display. Check to see if any video fan is present and working. The overall case temp. can cause the video to reach a limit and it flakes out. The problem can only get worse or later failure. Either cool the case better and/or check that the fan cooling is 100%. If this is OK, then your video card/port is starting to fail, replace. You can be sure to update its drivers to the latest, but I feel the h/w side is at fault. However, be sure that video cable is fully seated. The other half is that the monitor is starting to flake out due to the same reasons. If this is a LCD monitor, then prolonged viewing in high res. setting just becomes too much and it flakes out. If you set to simpler display, does the display last longer using reg. screen? I lean towards the video card/port being the problem.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Image of what It looks Like
by ssdtanay / October 16, 2007 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Goes BLACK!!!
Collapse -
Checks
by Willy / October 16, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

Your "taskbar" is black. Maybe during its display the "screensaver" kicks-in and goes to black after the display properties time setting. if that's the case, do one of these items to verify; change the taskbar color to something other than black -OR- change the screensaver time to launch to be increased or lessen to see if that's whats happening. Input
5min. and do what you normally do, but be inactive once you launch your movie. If the problems returns quicker and/or the color reflects the taskbar change then its a setting that has to corrected.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Still Same
by ssdtanay / October 17, 2007 6:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Checks

I have changed the Screensaver time to 5 min and also to 9999 min. But still the blackness happens after 20-30 minutes. I have asked a lot of person for this problem but found no solution.

If you think that it is from the video card, then could anyone tell me how to find the level or usage of the video and the sound card. Some of my friends have told me that they can check the usage of their video and sound card but I have asked them but their computer system is different form mine and it does not work for mine.

You can just tell me how you can check yours and I will try the same thing in my computer. Please tell me the way and again I will say THANKS.

Collapse -
Setting
by Willy / October 17, 2007 12:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Still Same

If you're using MS WMP media player, then check its setting as I don't use it myself. I do use the VLC media player.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
It works for me as of yet no problems. As for you "time or level" of play, I don't know of such a setting or pgm. following that line of thought, re-ask your friends to explain further, it just doesn't ring a bell with me other than actual movie frame taskbar. I offered the above media player as a possible test to see if the MS media player maybe reaching a setting, thus a test.

I focused on the video card, as the play gets your time period then reverts back to a reg. display suggests it reaches some setting or if the video truly is bad, it gets stressed and finally flakes out. Those werre areas i would look into.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Goes black While Working
by ssdtanay / October 18, 2007 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Setting

Now my computer goes black while I m working with the mouse and keyboard. I am going to change my computer but I want to find out what really happened and i want to uncover the mystery.

Collapse -
Use a restore point
by Willy / October 18, 2007 9:38 AM PDT

If you have restsore feature, enabled then use it. If the problem came up recently then use restore date thats before the problem cropping-up. Just maybe it will recover as a last resort. If you've done any recent pgm. installs or h/w, look into that as well. One or the other may have done a negative change or stressed the system. You can also try the XP OS "repair" option found when reloading the OS from the CD(retail version). If you haven't already open the case to allow better cooling at least for the time being to check it out.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Can't Restore
by ssdtanay / October 19, 2007 6:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Use a restore point

I cannot restore my computer. I know how to do it but I have programs that are going to be deleted if I restore the computer. I have also noticed that it started from the time I got Verizon for my internet service. If you are using Verizon Freedom Package, then you can tell me if this is happening to yours. You will know what Verizon is if you live in the United States mostly in New York. Please check the service.
The link for Verizon Wireless Service is here- http://www.verizon.com/

Check it and see if that hypothesis is correct.

Collapse -
Nope, no verizon used here
by Willy / October 19, 2007 9:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't Restore

No verizon used here. If you're using a broadband for movies showing from the web, then you're hitting a limit they maybe posing on you. But, I don't see how wifi is part of your problem, at this point other than braodband limits.

As for restore, you can back-up any important data, use restore and if you get lost pgms. you can re-install those then reload the data. I know that's tiresome, but your option to proceed.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Think So... No Problem With WIFI
by ssdtanay / October 21, 2007 5:23 AM PDT

I heard the term Wi-Fi from the Dell magazines I receive every month. But I never knew what that is until I checked it on Wikipedia.
This is what they say-

"Wi-Fi (pronounced wye-fye, IPA: /ˈwaɪfaɪ/), also unofficially known as Wireless Fidelity, is a wireless technology brand owned by the Wi-Fi Alliance intended to improve the interoperability of wireless local area network products based on the IEEE 802.11 standards.
Common applications for Wi-Fi include Internet and VoIP phone access, gaming, and network connectivity for consumer electronics such as televisions, DVD players, and digital cameras."

It is just a wireless network system. How can that hurt my computer. I know that the computer is bad and I am not going to use it because I am buying another one but the thing is I want to know what is causing the problem and will it happen again. I also think that it might have something to do with the fan of my computer because it is warm most of the time and there are a lot of waste on it after cleaning it. I really don't get why waste enters my computer even though most of the parts are closed. I just want to solve the mystery, that's all...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.