Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer glitches up while using Winamp, Windows Media, and games

by Damotta / November 12, 2003 9:27 AM PST

Hi, I'm not sure this is the correct forum for this post but I think it's a hardware problem I'm having so here goes:

I first noticed a problem with Winamp. At random times while playing a song(s) the song will skip. Not really skip, but repeatedly play a milisecond's worth of noise for about 1/2sec - 1sec then continue playing. It usually happens about 4-10 times during a song. The noise sounds a lot like a drill or jackammer, something along those lines.

It does the same thing with Windows Media Player. A movie will glitch up then keep on playing.

The problem really didnt bother me until I noticed that the glitch happened when I tried to play FFXI, except instead of the game continuing to run, it would freeze, forcing me to restart me computer.

I checked for viruses with Norton and found no problems. Ive updated all my drivers (since I built the pc myself I thought that my be the prob), but that too didnt solve anything.

If anyone has any information/tips/help of any kind I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer glitches up while using Winamp, Windows Media, and games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer glitches up while using Winamp, Windows Media, and games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Computer glitches up while using Winamp, Windows Media, and games
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 12, 2003 10:33 AM PST

"Tip: If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution."

No operating system mentioned, but many do that if the DMA setting is not enabled. The method and place this setting varies from Windows 98/ME, Windows NT, 2000 and XP so I prefer not to write about all five or more setups.

In short, check DMA.

Games are especially harsh on machines, requiring all drivers to be in top form and the machine's cooling to be working. Try it with the cover off. I'd comment about more items, but nothing about the machine or OS was noted.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Computer glitches up while using Winamp, Windows Media, and games
by David Chan / November 12, 2003 11:13 AM PST
Collapse -
Same here
Collapse -
I see it. Someone is a P2P user. Can't help them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 2, 2005 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Same here

eDonkey2000.exe and such is P2P crudware and most moderators have to wait for the owner to kick the crack software habit before any progress can be made.

-> Do you realize you added a post to a 2 year old thread?

Bob

Collapse -
I Got rid of edonkey
by someguy385 / May 3, 2005 9:10 AM PDT

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 4:05:52 PM, on 5/3/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\VS7Debug\mdm.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Christopher\My Documents\HijackThis.exe

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvCplDaemon] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DAEMON Tools-1033] "C:\Program Files\D-Tools\daemon.exe" -lang 1033
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [NvMediaCenter] RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0_02\bin\npjpi150_02.dll
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {6414512B-B978-451D-A0D8-FCFDF33E833C} (WUWebControl Class) - http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5consumer/V5Controls/en/x86/client/wuweb_site.cab?1114742568936
O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
O23 - Service: iPod Service (iPodService) - Apple Computer, Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (NVSvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\WINDOWS\system32\nvsvc32.exe

Collapse -
I see damage.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 12:38 PM PDT
In reply to: I Got rid of edonkey
http://startup.iamnotageek.com/srch-Daemon.exe.html is a common tool by downloaders to mount an ISO and ... is not stable.

Since this machine had P2P software, this item and what else, I don't hold much hope of much less than a wipe and clean install to ever bring it back to how it worked when new.

Sorry, but Microsoft didn't provide a tool to repair all the little holes such software pokes in any of their OSes.

Bob
Collapse -
When I first installed WIN XP
by someguy385 / May 3, 2005 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: I see damage.

When I first installed windows xp I had the same problem. I only loaded games and they still glitched, so its not P2P or deamon tools. I fixed the problem recently I think. I disabled some servies and turned off REMOTE ACCES. So far there are no glitches, but we will see.

Collapse -
That's a new clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 9:33 PM PDT

Very few people can install XP. Most are under the impression that you don't have to have the latest BIOS or fetch drivers for motherboard, video, audio, printer, and what else you have.

I'm calling it an incomplete install.

You're post has been doling out important details so my answers have to change with each new nugget.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

VIDEO

Do you have Google Home?

If you don't like the stock appearance of Google Home, here are two quick and easy ways to make it truly yours.