General discussion

Computer glitch re. Microsoft Update

I have a Sony VAIO laptop VGN-FE550G. Several days ago, I downloaded and installed Microsoft Office 2007 Ultimate. I don't know if this caused my problem but I'm pretty sure I didn't have the problem before that.

Anyway, since then, my computer continually "wants" to install the same Windows Update over. By continually, I mean that every time I open the start menu and click on "shut down," I see the same four-colored small shield next to the "turn off" icon and the message underneath wherein I can click and turn off my laptop without installing the update. I usually install the update --- and it's the same update every time! Moreover, I went to the Windows Update page on Internet Explorer more than once to see what would happen if I checked for needed updates, and each time I found I needed The 2007 Microsoft Office Suite Service Pack 2, which must be the same update I install when I turn off the computer.

HELP! Has anyone ever had a similar problem? If not, does anyone more technology-savvy than I have some idea as to what is causing this and what I might do to resolve the problem?

Gracias; grazzi; merci beaucoup and THANK YOU!

carol

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Computer glitch re. Microsoft Update
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer glitch re. Microsoft Update
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
clarification

I meant to say "install the same Windows update over and over." This is minor to be sure but the way it's mistakenly written makes no sense!

carol

- Collapse -
might be a simple as...

going to 'Windows Update'; right click on the update, choose to 'hide this update'.
I've done this in the past, and has worked for me.

B.

- Collapse -
"Might be as simple as. . ."

Thanks. I'll try that. What I am wondering, though, is WHY my computer continues to think I need the update. But maybe it doesn't matter since I know I downloaded it - more than once, too!

carol

CNET Forums