Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer Fryed?

by bikerbabcock / June 29, 2008 3:40 AM PDT

I was djing a party last night when my computer dyed. I have had it for about 6 months and it is my 5th computer i have built. When the power button is hit the power supply turns on runs then fan and about 1 second later shuts off. There are leds on the motherboard that stay on. Nothing internally has changed.

I have:

Foxconn digitalife mother board
Intel quad core processor
800 watt psu
8800gts gpu
120gb 10k rpm hard drive by western digital
2(500) gb hard drives

If more specifics are needed I can provide them

If anyone has any clue as to what happened to my unit it would be greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Fryed?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Fryed?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this simple test.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Fryed?

Unplug all IDE cables.

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / June 29, 2008 4:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Fryed?

Disconnect all drives. If it boots then or you can enter the bios, your psu has been overtaxed. Your stuffed system generates alot heat and cause the psu to degrade and/or become unstable. the damage is probably already done, but check anyways. In such cases, swapping the psu is the way to go. Hi-wattage generic labeled psus may not be stable over time as generic labels aren't reliable, regardless of specs. A good namebrand is costly but worth it over the life of the system. Also, think added cooling for continued use.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Comp Fried
by bikerbabcock / June 29, 2008 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Look into...

i tried the psu (OCZ 700w) and it does it with my other one as well. it is not anything to do with the ides since they were all unplugged. if the mother board is still showing leds that would lead to the cpu correct?

Collapse -
Then keep removing boards, sticks, parts until
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Comp Fried

It powers up.

Collapse -
comp
by bikerbabcock / June 29, 2008 10:09 AM PDT

everything is removed from it except the cpu and the motherboard

Collapse -
Is there any "case"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 29, 2008 10:11 AM PDT
In reply to: comp

Sometimes you find it's the mounting.

Collapse -
Fault source
by Willy / June 29, 2008 10:33 PM PDT
In reply to: Comp Fried

If the mtrbd. led(one)is lit is only an indication of power present, a visible reminder to the users. If you have a set of leds, goto the support website(or manual) and locate what those leds means, what pattern may note a fault. Removing the drives was an attempt to remove some load off the psu and possible drive problem if cause. Also, you remove those as an issue and reduce the system. You can further reduce the system to only single ram and video and keybd. and mouse. if the problem persists, swap ram. If the problem still persists, you can remove cpu, ram, and only connect the mtrbd.. Problem remains, you got a bad mtrbd., if it starts to beep away and fans remain ON, possible bad cpu. Install cpu and it should still beep but if it remains ON, then add 1 ram stick. Be sure to power OFF before doing so. Reboot, find a usable ram combo or otherwise the bad ram or combo of ram. Its very possible to have multiple problems.

Its important to understand, if a mtrbd. problem(or start to build another system) and you replace it, don't install a whole system again and boot-up. A 2ndary(old parts) problem will come back to crash or take down the system due to its limitations and/or cause limited service. Since, you already got 5mo. out of it, it maybe heat related issues that degraded the componets and finally "poof" it went. That's why cooling is important and notice of shutdowns, reboots, or freezes is a sign of such an issue.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!