Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer freezing/often rebooting

by Dteachmh / January 28, 2009 4:31 AM PST

Here is my problem, and you guys are my last hope. My computer constantly freezes, and then often reboots... if not, I have to manually reboot it (Cont./Alt./Delete doesn't work). It has gotten worse, where now the computer won't even stay on more than a couple of minutes. No rhyme or reason to it. Happens when I'm checking email, happens when I'm in Word, happens when I'm looking something up on the Internet. No warning, just poof, it's frozen... then I wait a second or two to see if it's going to reboot.

When it reboots, I get the "Serious Error" screen. I thought it was always the same two files, but they are not exactly the same. Here are the last three. It's always two files and one is always a dmp file and the other is always a xml file. But they do appear a little different each time:

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0555.dir00\Mini010809-07.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER0555.dir00\sysdata.xml

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER59aa.dir00\Mini010809-08.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER59aa.dir00\sysdata.xml

C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6f36.dir00\Mini010809-09.dmp
C:\DOCUME~1\Owner\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER6f36.dir00\sysdata.xml

What I've done:
CCleaner
VundoFix
ComboFix
Malware-antimalware or something like that
Had McAfee on, but uninstalled and switched to AVG 8.0 Free

What's interesting is that when I start it up on Safe Mode (or Safe Mode with Networking), it works fine. In fact, that's how I'm even on it now. No problems at all. I'm no tech, but it's just weird to me that in Safe Mode it works fine, but not in regular mode. Keep in mind that whatever I'm asked to do, it will be in Safe Mode unless you specify otherwise.

It's a Compax Presario with Intel Celeron Processor. 512 MB Ram. Running Windows XP SP3.

My wife says I have until this weekend to either fix this thing or buy a new one. Help please!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezing/often rebooting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezing/often rebooting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long since you did this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 4:45 AM PST
Collapse -
Think back
by Willy / January 28, 2009 4:49 AM PST

If you've done any recent h/w or s/w changes, return to what it was before. If not and the problem has cropped-up, try a system restore to point(date) when the problem didn't exist.

The reason the system reboots is upon a critical error, the system was set to do so. Upon boot-up the system configures as it needs whatever device drivers, etc., and possibility during such time, fails. You can try reseating or swapping out the ram sticks and see if that helps. This excludes any possible malware at work. You seem to try to resolve it that way. If these don't produce a baddie, then the system is somehow itself in error. You can note the error in its entirely and see what it finds upon googling. Understand "safe mode" is a setting at very basic levels and needn't be 100% of a typical boot-up so don't confuse the two why it works in safe mode and not std.. Of course, if you haven't yet, clean out the dust bunnies very good. Open case after cleaning and allow it to run that way, with side cover off and see if it runs better. If it does, it maybe more of a heat issue. Verify&inspect fan(s) for operation as well.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Still no luck
by Dteachmh / January 28, 2009 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Think back

Problem has been happening for about two weeks. It keeps getting worse. It's at the point now that it won't even completely boot up. It starts booting up (Windows XP screen) and then reboots. It just keeps doing that.

Took it out to the garage and gave it a good cleaning. Didn't help. Came in and tried System Restore (from the Safe Mode of course) and that didn't work.

Any other ideas?

Collapse -
Look at...
by Willy / January 28, 2009 8:58 AM PST
In reply to: Still no luck

If your system is more than a few yrs. old, it may have the "bad caps" issue. look at: http://www.badcaps.net and check examples. Inspect&verify if your mtrbd. has any, if so, sorry only a real good tech can fix. In most cases, just replace the mtrbd..

Since, you can access in safe mode, retrieve any critical data and save if possible. -OR- remove HD and place in other system to access data. Once you deem data is safe, you may want to try a true reload of the XP OS, using the recovery/restore CDs, etc. for such. You can also try the SFC commands, to help recover any possible corrupted OS files.
http://www.google.com/search?q=SFC+commaNDS&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

But, you need to be up and running in order to do so. Last, the psu may have gotten weak, while it works in safe mode, again not all devices become available and allows just enough to eek by. These are about the best guesses to resolve your problem. However, if this becomes too much T/S to handle, then maybe the new system is in order. I only offer that as many times older systems for the amount of effort and possible cost maybe better spend on a new system. Basic new systems offerings are pretty low cost too.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Queue music.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 28, 2009 9:31 AM PST
In reply to: Look at...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?