Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer Freezing nad Chkdsk utility corrupt disk proplems

by schwingrocker / April 8, 2006 6:22 AM PDT

My computer has been freezing up latley. I tried to do system restore but it will only let me go back one day. I am also getting a message that says firefox.exe- the file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:

Can anyone help out?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezing nad Chkdsk utility corrupt disk proplems
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezing nad Chkdsk utility corrupt disk proplems
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Scan the disk for errors
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 6:31 AM PDT

This is the Scan Disk option, as it used to be known on Windows 9x/ME.

Open My Computer and right click on the C drive. It should be called Local Disk ( C: ).

Select Properties, then click the Tools tab. In the top section called "Error Checking", click the "Check now" button.

Error checking doesn't perform when Windows is active so you will get a message askiing if you want to schedule error checking on the next Start Up. Say yes, then either reboot your computer, or follow the prompts if a Restart is offered to you.

The computer will re-boot but before it fully loads Windows will start the error check. It may take some time.

If you have more than one hard disk, do the same procedure for each disk.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
I still have freezing
by schwingrocker / April 8, 2006 10:09 AM PDT

I did the chk dsk thing and that fixed the pop up thing that told me to do it. But my computer is still going slow and is freezing. I notice it has been freezing when i use outlook express and firefox sometimes. I checked for viruses with norton anti virus and spyware with zone alaram pro nothing found. I went down to my other computer and when i started it up it autmatically went to chkdsk... I don't know if it is a coincidence or what...

Collapse -
Oh yeah and by the way....
by schwingrocker / April 8, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

My computers are connected by wireless.

Collapse -
More in depth checks
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 5:53 PM PDT

Perhaps you need to beef up your security.

Do you use a firewall on both machines?

Try an online virus scan at http://housecall.trendmicro.com and delete any nasties.

Download, install, update and scan with the following anti-spyware;

1] Ewido anti-spyware from http://www.ewido.net

2] Spybot Search & Destroy, from http://www.safer-networking.org/en/spybotsd/index.html

3] CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com This does not need updating but can be used to check for and delete all unwanted files, and also for Registry integrity

Carry out some disk housecleaning and maintenance. See this thread for guidance;
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6121-0.html?forumID=45&threadID=22053&messageID=238474

In fact, that whole thread, started and maintained by Grif Thomas, holds a wealth of information about how to keep your computer running smoothly and clean.

I hope this helps.

Mark

Collapse -
housecall
by schwingrocker / April 8, 2006 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: More in depth checks

it didn't work for me. And yes i do have a firewall

Collapse -
Tell more about your machine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 11:23 PM PDT

What is it?

How old?

Do you clean it out?

Is it free of dust and are the fans spinning like new?

Bob

Collapse -
Sony
by schwingrocker / April 8, 2006 11:28 PM PDT

It is a sony Vaio, not sure which model. I think it is from 2003 or 2002. And there is no dust in the fans.

Collapse -
Ewido
by schwingrocker / April 8, 2006 11:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Sony

When i opened it it automatically closed out.

Collapse -
That's a bad sign.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 8, 2006 11:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Ewido

Some pests do that so you can't get rid of them.

Just out of curiousity, most will know what make/model their car is. Same for the PC. Since you claim the machine is dust free I'll not continue with the hardware issues that cause this issue.

Bob

Collapse -
Try this
by Themisive / April 8, 2006 11:57 PM PDT
In reply to: That's a bad sign.

Reboot your machine to Safe Mode, when you're in there run Ewido again.

In case you're wondering, Safe Mode will not allow a lot of items to start - including most pests.

Delete everything Ewido finds, reboot and try again.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Definitely a great idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 9, 2006 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.