Desktops forum

General discussion

Computer Freezing, mouse won't work

by King Fisher / July 24, 2008 10:32 AM PDT

I have an older Compaq computer 5320 CA from about 2002, I'm using Windows XP. I used it for a couple of years then not for approximately 2 years. I have been using it for the last year without any problems. On Saturday, it is now Thursday, after about 5 hours my computer started to freeze to the point where it was no longer sending data and my mouse wouldn't work, it lasted a minute then was find for a while, then started to freeze more regularly once I turned it off I got a few more hours before it would start freezing again. Each day the amount of time I would get before it froze has been getting shorter and shorter to the point today where it started almost immediately. Now it is freezing about every minute or two for a minute or so.

At some point in the last week my cd burner quit working (ie does not recognize when a cd is put into it). Once it starts its freezing issues the cd burner has a red light on.

The last few times I have tried to turn my computer off, it will not fully shut off competely. It does into shutdown mode but will not actually turn off.

I thought originally it was a virus but I did a virus scan and it found nothing so then I did a factory reset and cleaned my computer. I thought maybe it was the fan not working, but I have a fan on it and that is not working, it has actually gotten worse.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly welcomed

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Freezing, mouse won't work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Freezing, mouse won't work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you doing this yearly maintenence? (see video at link)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2008 12:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
Computer Freezing
by King Fisher / July 27, 2008 3:54 AM PDT

I just did the fan cleaning today, I will let you know how it turns out and if my problem goes away.

Collapse -
Just so you know...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 27, 2008 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Freezing

This problem never goes away entirely. I was at one of the usual stores today and a few machines were frozen...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.