Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

computer FREEZING every few seconds

Compact Presario with Windows XP using Zone Alarm Security Suite 3.

My computer is freezing every 5 to 15 seconds. I had this problem before when Windows downloaded the patch that interfered with Zone Alarm. when that problem was fixed the freezing problem went away. I am able to get online (wireless) but get bumped off when it freezes. Any suggestions?
Thanks for the assistance.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer FREEZING every few seconds
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer FREEZING every few seconds
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you running. . .

In reply to: computer FREEZING every few seconds

the ZA firewall and the XP firewall at the same time?

Collapse -
...only one firewall

In reply to: Are you running. . .

The only security program I'm using is Zone-Alarm. I've had Windows XP for several years then added Zone-Alarm 3 months ago. My computer did slow down with Zone-Alarm on it.

Collapse -
'The only security program I'm using is Zone-Alarm'...

In reply to: ...only one firewall

So you don't have any antivirus program installed? Or do you mean that you have the full ZoneAlarm suite which uses a ZA antivirus, antispyware, and firewall combination?

Just a couple of thoughts here..

1. Try cleaning the computer out well with compressed air. Excess heat can cause restarting problems. Unfortunately, you didn't tell us whether you have a laptop or desktop but either way, take the cover off the computer and blow out all the dust from around the power supply, fans, processore and heatsink.

2. If you're running the full ZoneAlarm Suite, try disabling it temporarily...or even uninstalling it.. See if the suite is the true culprit.. We've seen a few here that are having such issues with the ZA suite as a whole unit.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Freeze up issues

In reply to: ...only one firewall

Prior to installing Z/A did you remove other security software that had been previously loaded?? If not you may have a conflict or two going. Would suggest checking to see if there may not be remnants of other security software still in the system. Check control panel, ADD REMOVE, then DRIVE C program files, then do a file search, then check the registry. If there are remnants, for example, of NORTON/SYMANTEC in the system, you may see some odd issues.

Collapse -
C drive location?

In reply to: Freeze up issues

I went to add/remove programs. There is a list of programs but no mention of which drive they're located. The freezing problem is so bad I have to use a different computer to communicate to C-Net. Also makes it difficult to do anything without frequent interruption. My computer is a desktop Compaq Presario.

Collapse -
Located windows security info....

In reply to: C drive location?

I found by checking the security center on Windows it tells me that the Windows firewall isn't on. I am running Zone Alarm security suite 3, that includes the firewall, anti-virus & anti-spyware.

Collapse -
dridds... my first suspicion

In reply to: Located windows security info....

would be ZoneAlarm that you installed 3 months ago. Did you follow Grif's suggestion to disable or uninstall it for a test? Some newer versions of ZA have caused some users much grief.

I would try that... be sure to enable the XP firewall. I think it will automatically enable if no other firewall is in place. Nevertheless you should verify it's active before going online for the test.

Glenn

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.