Computer Help forum

Question

Computer freezing

by Johnno420 / October 6, 2014 2:40 AM PDT

Hi, my computer has a problem where it constantly freezes. At random times it'll either bluescreen or just freeze, and it happen's quite a lot.

I bought and assembled the computer myself about a year ago and the issues has happened on and off. I ignored it because it didn't happen much and kinda went away, but I cant seem to do anything without it freezing lately.

It isn't to do with the heat or cpu/ram as I keep tabs on that stuff, and it happens sometimes when I'm doing nothing.

I've been told it may be a graphics card issue, or possibly the different components clash (because I built it from different brands/ not a home kit). I've reformatted it many times and it still happens, the same way.

I don't wanna go spending money on parts when I don't know the issue. I also have disassembled/reassembled the computer a few times just in case it was a build problem.

If you want me to list the parts of the computer I'd be more than happy to. Any ideas what it might be?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Have you done the usual work?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 6, 2014 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer freezing

That is the usual cover off, canned air and heatsink compound replacement? Omitting the parts is going to hurt the discussion but let's hear if you've done the work. Many folk don't, won't and try to avoid it. Some of the newer techs trot out temperature readings. All over a few minutes to hour work. Maybe it's best to not talk about this and keep the shops busy.
Bob

Collapse -
Pretty much
by Johnno420 / October 11, 2014 12:01 AM PDT

Sorry for not replying earlier I've been busy and havent even looked at the computer. But I have gone through and checked connections, dusted and replaced the heat sinc paste. I'd be happy to take it to a professional, but I've avoided that simply because it seems to be erratic and hard to predict. It'll Halen when I'm playing games one minute and when Im simply watching movies the next. I just don't want them to not experience the issue and think it's solved.

My parts are:
Motherboard asrock z87 extreme 4
cpu Intel i5 4670k
ram ddr3 corsair venegenace 2x8 gb
Graphics raedeon 7850 hd
Psu thermaltake smart 650 w
Cooling cooler master hyper 212x (its just a bigass heat sync)

That's what I have. Again sorry for the late reply, I really do appreciate the help. I'll try another reformat and look a little deeper.

Collapse -
That helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 11, 2014 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Pretty much
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001976 shows a single +12V rail so that removes one of the common concerns.

HOWEVER the "K" series CPU is often a sign the machine is/was overclocked. DON'T DO THAT without expecting trouble. To make matters worse some folk demand support for overclocked PCs. I guess the dishonest tech shops will take the money...

OK. Let's say the heatsink on graphics and CPU was done right. Now it's time to check firmware versions on BIOS and SSD. I check the HDD and ODD firmware too while I'm doing the deep inspections but when I have a new cranky PC I'm updating the BIOS and SSD because that's where I've run into out of date troublesome versions.

After that I'm going over the windows install with a fine tooth comb. Checking that the motherboard driver was installed, then the audio, video, network and then the INTEL RST app.

Windows is troublesome to get installed right today. I had hopes that would be addressed but it's just as it was from the beginning.

In closing, leave the cover off for now.
Bob
Collapse -
Additional information?
by burnstar001 / October 11, 2014 4:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Pretty much

Hi,

What hard drives are you using?

Bernard W

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Computer freezing
by burnstar001 / October 11, 2014 4:26 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

I had a similar problem due to the motherboard not being fastened to the case properly.
You should check to ensure that the motherboard is grounded.

I would remove the graphics card and try the built in graphics and see if that is a problem area.

Submitted by Bernard W.

Collapse -
dont beat around the bush
by seamonkeyball / October 11, 2014 5:05 AM PDT

a few questions

have you run memtest via a bootable cd
have you stress tested the pc with any software
have you access to another psu for testing purposes

finally have you uninstalled any beta drivers or other software, or if its recent, tried a system restore or re-install as a last precaution ( It may work but can be a waste of time if hardware related).

As you suggest remove the graphics card and the drivers.

A couple of issues I have had are

Accidentally shorting a usb on the back plate ( took me hours and lots of select language )
Bad drivers
PSU faulty
Memory faulty

like anything its trying to recreate the failure with as little hardware in as possible.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.