Question

Computer freezes while watching videos online

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Computer freezes while watching videos online
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer freezes while watching videos online
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try the Hardware Acceleration trick

Go to http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/ and ensure the animation works. You may have to refresh the page.

Assuming it does, right click the animation and select Settings, then remove the tick for "Enable Hardware Acceleration".

Restart the browser then re-test the videos.

Mark

- Collapse -

Thanks. Already tried to remove tick but didn't solve it...Monitor still goes blank after playing videos...and have to force shut down. Any other ideas?

- Collapse -
"tried to remove tick but didn't solve it."

So you were not successful in unticking that?

- Collapse -
Brilliant

I have just spent an hour with Microsoft techs trying to resolve this problem and in 2 minutes your solution seems to have worked!

- Collapse -
Answer
What videos in what program?

Youtube in Firefox is quite something else as Silverlight in IE. Both do streaming video's. And then we have quicktime also.

Kees

- Collapse -
Any videos in both Firefox and IE

Mostly when watching videos streamed online. It happens more frequently when playing videos in IE. I didn't use to have this problem before....Have had this PC since March last year...Could it be related to the NVIDIA GeForce GT 220 Driver?

- Collapse -
Then we suspect the video card or the driver.

Running dxdiag (directx diagnostics) might give a clue. Then download and install the latest version of the drivers and try again. Then try to 'play' with all settings for that card.
If all of that doesn't help, it might be time to try another card.

Kees

- Collapse -
Answer
- Collapse -
Computer Freezes While Watching Videos Online

The Fix-it solution centre at microsoft did not find anything wrong. But there is something wrong. Computer freezes every couple of minutes when watching itvplayer, etc. Tried the Adobe tip also, but they couldn't find anything wrong either.

- Collapse -
True!

None of the fixit/tips find anything wrong. This can frustrate the new to PC Windows repair folk but I continue to disable the hardware acceleration noted. I have yet to use any troubleshooter, fixit or other tip.

If the machine still locks up, I'm off to look over the machine as a whole. But this post is more than 917 days old so we won't hold that discussion here.
Bob

CNET Forums