Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Computer freezes after file download

I am running Windows 98 and Internet Explorer 6. I am connected to the internet through a high speed DSL modem. All Windows programs and other software work very well without any problems. My Internet speed is very fast going form web page to web page without any errors or hang ups. The problem I have is trying to download files from websites to my hard drive or floppy disk. About 3 to 5 seconds after the download is complete, the entire computer freezes up and can only be re-started by turning the power off, then on. I find the downloaded file sitting in the correct directory but, is corrupt and un-usable.

I know the problem isn't virus/spyware related as I've checked for that. Can anyone please help?

Thank you

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer freezes after file download
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer freezes after file download
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Computer freezes after file download

In reply to: Computer freezes after file download

Glenn,

Just some thoughts here...First, have you cleared out the C\Windows\Temporary Internet Files folder and the C\Windows\Temp folder on your computer. If both of these folders are full, it could be causing part of the difficulty.

In addition, because resource issues can cause problems with computer freezing, please follow the procedures in both of the links below:

How To Shut Down Unnecessary Start Up Programs

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Computer freezes after file download

Thanks Grif,

I eliminated all of the startup items except for the two you recommended. I can't help but think it might be a hardware acceration problem. I had this problem a few years back when I first installed my internet browser. I found a solution somewhere but didn't write it down. Now that I've done a clean re-insatll of Windows 98 and IE6, it's back again!

Collapse -

Newbies aren't supposed to do an install of Windows themselves Happy. You're on the wrong forum?

Some thoughts, anyway.

- Please explain 'hardware acceleration'. It doesn't seem to be standard.
- Windows 98 doesn't come with IE6. Did you install it from CD, or did the download from windowsupdate still work then? If so, what changed afterwards?
- Do you maybe mean 'download accelerator'. That's not part of Windows itself, so you must have installed it yourself (you know better than we do). Maybe it's part of the fast cable software? Then try to disable it.
- Downloading a file to a folder is a two-step process. First it's downloaded to Temporary Internet Files, then to the folder you specify. It's unlikely, but can you find a good copy in the TIF-folder?

Your best bet might be to try another browser. Find a friend with a cd-burner and go to www.mozilla.org for either Firefox (0.9) or the full Mozilla. Or order it CD. There are many people here using one of these programs as their main browser, not trusting IE, so you're in good company if you switch Happy. But that's up to you, of course. But whatever you think of those programs, if they work for download that would be a feasible work-around for your problem, I'd say. Some problem are best solved by a work-around, and this might be one of them.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -

Thanks Kees,

Actualy, I do still consider myself a newbie. The re-install wasn't that difficult but, was very time consuming. I did it over three evenings. It was all of the drivers to re-install that took most of the time.

I will try the Mozilla browser if this problem keeps happening. I find that when presented with the option of saving to disk or, opening from the site is given......I have no problem installing/opening the file from the site. Hence, I was able to install IE6 from the site without a problem.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Dutch proverb: Modesty graces man.

Glenn,

Did you know that moderator Bob Proffit, recognized as THE guru in about everyone of these forums by about everyone, in his profile describes his computer proficiency as 'intermediate' (having to choose from newbie, beginner, intermediate, advanced and guru).

With regard to your problem: do the disk maintenance Grif advices (clean Temporary Internet Files from IE>Tools>Options, delete all files older than 1 day in c:\windows\temp and do a scandisk). It might not help, but it certainly won't harm!

Kees

Collapse -
Re: Dutch proverb: Modesty graces man.

In reply to: Dutch proverb: Modesty graces man.

Thanks again Kees,

Yes, I have deleted all of the temporary Internet files. I'll see if it has helped.

Collapse -

Is it possible the install of windows isn't quite finished?

Did you install the proper mobo + vid drivers?

BTW. If I rc a blank area of the desktop and select properties this brings up a page about my vid card.

If I browse through the tabs I find a slider for hardware acceleration, if you have the same perhaps drop it back a notch or two and test.

Collapse -

Thanks Bob B.

Yes, I did install the video driver and set the acceleration to minimum. I remembered to do this from my experiences a couple of years ago. Playing video content would often crash my computer unless the video card acceleration was turned down. My poor old computer is a PII 266mhz with 128 meg of RAM so, it doesn't like things like video playback. Thanks again.

Collapse -
Glenn, You Didn't Say....

...whether you had cleaned the computer of junk files, especially the Temp and Temporary Internet Files, then run Scandisk and Defrag.. Did you do that? I included two links in my previous post and you only mentioned one in your response.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Re: Glenn, You Didn't Say....

In reply to: Glenn, You Didn't Say....

Thanks Grif,

I did the scandisk and de-frag. I'll have to see if that helped. There certainly doesn't seem to be any shortage of good suggestions offered on this forum! Good group guys!

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.