HolidayBuyer's Guide

Laptops forum

General discussion

computer for webinars

by dhelbig / August 4, 2010 11:18 PM PDT

I am looking for a lightweight laptop or a netbook that works well with conducting webinars with up to 25 attendees. Is there something I should be looking for in terms of power, memory, or ?
Thanks,
Diane

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: computer for webinars
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: computer for webinars
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Too little detail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 12:44 AM PDT
In reply to: computer for webinars

If you were going to SERVE UP the webinar I feel that no netbook could do that. If you were talking about a client seeing the show then any netbook might do.

The webinar software if run on the laptop could have requirements so let's read that next. Link please?
Bob

Collapse -
more detail
by dhelbig / August 5, 2010 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Too little detail.

So the webinar is conducted through Dimdim which actually resides on the internet. All I do is log in as the host. Through the dimdim service I can upload and use a powerpoint, go to the internet to show a page, show my desktop, or use the whiteboard there. Attendees log on through their computers. I use a phone so I'm not using the mic or camera on the computer.

I do need to be able to switch from the powerpoint to the internet and back again relatively quickly and without getting locked up.
My current laptop is about 5 years old and tends to lock up when I use it for this purpose. I was told that a netbook would not have the power to conduct the webinar and while I didn't really understand why I thought I should ask the question here.

My preference would be to buy a netbook so I can take it with me. I do a lot of writing of articles and use the internet a great deal in my business. Lugging around my laptop is getting to be a drag and it is slowing down in its old age.

Does this give you a better idea of what I am trying to accomplish?
Thanks!
Diane

Collapse -
Your common netbook is no speedster.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 1:29 AM PDT
In reply to: more detail

I have a few and I must be patient as it loads things and slowly gets the job done. For real time work like web cam, sending video and audio this is a non-starter. Most netbooks have the power of a pentium 3 so if a 10 year old laptop could serve the webinar then a netbook might do.

There are new small laptops with the Intel Core i3 that I would shop for this service. As to locking up, I wonder if your laptop has been getting it's yearly cleanings? The CNET Latptop Troubleshooting forum notes that at http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3196452&tag=forums06;posts#3196452

I see that the presenter is best on a WIRED CONNECTION noted at "What are the technical requirements for running Dimdim?

1. Network connection: a wired connection is strongly recommended for the presenters; a wired or wireless connection will suffice for the participants who are not presenting. To ensure that the wireless connection is not used, presenters should disable their wireless network feature. Failure to use a wired connection is likely to result in "lost connection" errors."

So there it is, any new i3 machine should be fine.
Bob

Collapse -
Just tried dimdim
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 5, 2010 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: computer for webinars

I'm going with anything better than a common netbook as the audio video processing for the host looks to be just out of reach of the common Atom powered netbook. Same for the common single core Celeron netbooks.

Let's recap:

1. No wifi connection for the presenter.
2. i3 or better machine.

Bob

Collapse -
thank you
by dhelbig / August 5, 2010 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Just tried dimdim

thanks so much for your help. this is truly helpful and points me in the right direction.
Diane

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.