PC Hardware forum

General discussion

Computer for Video Editing?

I am planning on building this for about $1200, any opinions?

CPU:
Pentium D 830

Motherboard:
Asus P5WD2

RAM:
Corsair Value Select Dual Channel 1024MB Kit

Video Card:
Gigabyte GeForce 6600 128MB

Hard Drive:
Seagate 200GB SATA

DVD:
BenQ 1620

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer for Video Editing?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer for Video Editing?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
do you have the following...

In reply to: Computer for Video Editing?

case
OS
monitor(s)
keyboard/mouse

and the sound equipment
+ video software

Collapse -
have those, cept for the case

In reply to: do you have the following...

for dual core CPU's, is it going to run even hotter than current CPUs? cause I might have to look for a case that has good ventilation, otherwise i'd just buy a plain $30 case

Collapse -
From what I heard.

The more ram you have the faster it will be especially if you have a 64 bit cpu.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) how much more?

In reply to: From what I heard.

Collapse -
Re: Computer for Video Editing

Don't forget the Power Supply.

Selections look good (esp the Dual-Core processor). Those you list add up to about $932.98 from Newegg. On the Corsair RAM, your Mobo accepts DDR2, 240Pin, 533 (PC4200). Assume you have selected the correct Corsair Value Select Dual channel 1024MB kit. The 1GB should be enough. If not add more later.

You may also want to add a internal Card Reader Floppy combo for around $20-$25. Also consider a Modem, Router, or Network card. I also like to have two optical drives in seperate bays, like a DVD/CD burner in one (your BenQ) and a inexpensive DVD-ROM in another.

You may also be able to get the GeForce 6600GT graphics card instead of the GeForce 6600 and stay within budget.

Collapse -
is there such thing as a 6600GT 256MB?

In reply to: Re: Computer for Video Editing

I was thinking of maybe getting a 256MB video card if it would still fit in my budget, but I could only see one from XFX... is ther any other manufacturers that make 256MB GT's?

and another question, how does VIVO work? Does it stand for Video In/Video Out?

Collapse -
uh, it's essentially a gimmick

In reply to: is there such thing as a 6600GT 256MB?

XFX is an excellent brand, so if you want the 256MB go for it

but 256MB was not a reference design by nVidia for the 6600GT (128MB, however, was)

it doesn't meant it won't work, it just means the RAM has been added for marketing reasons, it won't provide a speed benefit due to the 6600GT's performance

just consider, a 6600GT isn't slow, but it doesn't kill any game at 1600x1200, as in with all the settings maxed, the extra 128MB of RAM would help it if that were the case (extra RAM means more room for textures, and resolution data, it keeps it from off-loading to the AGP or PCIE buffer, but that doesn't happen that often)
a card like the 6800GT has 256MB because:
A) it's targeted as a top end part
and
B) it can make somewhat better use of it

but in most tests comparing a 128MB card to a 256MB card, the performance increase (if it's using the same GPU) isn't noticeable

such as the X600Pro 128MB vs the X600Pro 256MB
the performance difference is like 1%
if even

Collapse -
forgot about the VIVO question...

In reply to: uh, it's essentially a gimmick

Collapse -
Computer for Video Editing?

Unless you plan of playing some games you don't need that fast video card.
I didn't look up the Asus board, but I assume that it does have firewire ports.
Video rendering speed is processor 1st, memory 2nd, HD speed 3rd. 1gb of dual channel memory should work OK. John

Collapse -
how fast HD?

how fast should the HD speed be? also, is IEEE 1394B going to be used more often in the near future?

Collapse -
This is what I might get:

In reply to: how fast HD?

It adds to around $1200 from where I'm buying from- I'd buy from Newegg, but they don't ship internationally.

Case:
Antec Performance TX1050B /w Antec Smartpower 500W Power Supply

Motherboard:
Asus P5WD2

CPU:
Intel Pentium D 830

RAM:
Corsair Value Select PC4200 1024MB (2x512MB)

Video Card:
Gigabyte 6600GT

HDD:
Seagate 200GB SATA

FDD: Mitsumi 7-in-1

DVD Burner:
BenQ 1620

DVD ROM:
BenQ 1650

Any opinions?

Collapse -
Looks good. I used

In reply to: This is what I might get:

Collapse -
how fast HD?

7200rpm. ATA133 or SATA150 will do fine.
People who do a lot video editing in the Mac fromat keep their projects on externial firewire HDs. This way they can switch easly from one project to another.
If you go the AMD64 route get a scoket 939 and a chip that has Vience core. John

Collapse -
955X Power Supply?

I have read that the 955X requires a newer type of power supply, is this correct? and if so, would the Antec that I chose work with it?

Also, what is the difference between the 955 and the 945 chipsets, cause I found an Asus 945 for about $50 less...

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.