Desktops forum

Resolved Question

Computer Fan connector difference question?

by JFCreally / April 27, 2012 2:51 AM PDT
JFCreally has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Fan connector difference question?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Fan connector difference question?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by JFCreally

Collapse -
by Bob__B / April 27, 2012 9:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Picture

If I could not find the fan I wanted with the proper connector I don't think it would take me very long to cut+splice the connector from the old fan to the new fan.

Looks like a 4 wire>4 wire splice job.

The molex/round pin is a common connector.
That square pin connector may be a specialty item.

Collapse -
No fan connected.
by JFCreally / April 28, 2012 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Work-around

I would splice wires, but there is no fan connected to it. It just has a plug in on the mobo.

Collapse -
The ROUND ONE is called a Molex connector.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2012 9:27 AM PDT

Yes I could get all technical on you but that one is so you can tap power from the usual ATX power supply.

The square one looks to be the rare 4 pin that has RPM and possibly temperature sensing.

I won't discuss the latter without full details on the host PC.

Collapse -
Yes, it does have RPM sensing.
by JFCreally / April 28, 2012 7:21 AM PDT

I have a acer aspire x1430g tower. It only has a small cpu fan, and the same size exhaust fan.. So I bought a 120mm fan for intake on the side of the case but didn't realize it has "Round" pin holes.

Do you know if there is an adapter I can buy? Or? I only paid $4 for the fan so it's not like I'm out anything but would still like to use it.

Collapse -
Confused about something
by Steven Haninger / April 28, 2012 10:25 AM PDT

You just said that the 120mm fan you bought has the "round hole" (molex) type but, earlier, it sounded like your connector was square. Your link in the first post was dead so is your second post link what you actually have or the type you think you need? If you have the standard molex type, only two of the pins will be wired as this type connects directly to your PS an not on the motherboard. It won't be speed controlled unless it has internal circuitry to do so or a speed selector switch. If the molex type, you connect it to the PS with no special adapter needed. Most such fans I've seen already have a adapter if no free PS plugs exist.

Collapse -
by JFCreally / April 28, 2012 11:46 AM PDT

Sorry for the confusion. It's a Pita to post stuff on here when you can't edit your posts.

Anyways, I have 2 connections on my motherboard. One is the "CPU" fan which is a "Square" 3 pin, and the other is a "System" fan(What it shows in Bios) connection that is a "Square" 4 pin(Same as the picture in post #2)

The issue is, the fan I bought has a Molex plug in. I found an adapter that should hook up to the mobo and use the molex fan.

And like you said, it seems I(The Mobo) won't be able to control the fan speed if I went that route correct? It looks like I can buy a touchscreen fan controller but if I'm running just 1 fan it seems kind of pointless.

Collapse -
Yes, it's the fan with sensor and PWM
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 28, 2012 12:12 PM PDT
Collapse -
PSU connection
by JFCreally / April 29, 2012 2:21 AM PDT

I'm going to have to see on that. I am not seeing a molex connection coming off of my PSU.

Collapse -
Which is why they made SPLITTERS.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 29, 2012 2:28 AM PDT
In reply to: PSU connection
Collapse -
Not seeing a molex connection
by JFCreally / May 5, 2012 5:33 AM PDT

Unless it's hidden behind my CD driver I am not seeing any spare molex connectors.

Collapse -
This is for creating 2 out of 1.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 5, 2012 5:45 AM PDT

And they have splitters for SATA power too.

If this is too hard, find a friend that has built PCs before and have a chat about power splitters.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.