Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer driver messed up, or something else?

by samwapp-23063490202584983 / December 3, 2009 6:37 AM PST

Last night, I turned off my desktop, and when I went to turn it on this morning, it went to a black screen with a mouse cursor. I thought it must be a one time thing, I restarted it, and then it went to my desktop. However, on the bottom right it said there was a driver error, Norton Anti-Virus said there was a problem that needed to be fixed, and I checked and it said that my firewall wall and my anti-virus were off. What should I do, is it a virus or something else?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer driver messed up, or something else?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer driver messed up, or something else?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which Norton product and version?
by Michael_York / December 3, 2009 7:17 AM PST

Hi samwapp,

This is Mike from the Norton Authorized Support Team.

Please tell me which Norton product and version you currently have installed as well as the version of Windows you are running.

If Norton is telling you that it is disabled and you have been notified that there is an issue with a driver, it could be that whatever infection you have, has possibly corrupted a system driver. Please respond back with the information as well as any other relevant information, such as "did you install any new software when the issue began, etc."

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
by samwapp-23063490202584983 / December 3, 2009 7:31 AM PST

I'm am currently using Norton Internet Security 2009, and I am sure there aren't any newly installed updates before the issue started.

Collapse -
Also
by samwapp-23063490202584983 / December 3, 2009 8:28 AM PST

Also the screen is very pixelated all the time.

Collapse -
Please update and scan in Safe Mode
by Michael_York / December 3, 2009 8:42 AM PST
In reply to: Also

Hi samwapp,

Thanks for the clarification. I do not want to overload you with information here, but I did want to let you know that one of the advantages of having a subscription to Norton Internet Security is that you are entitled to free product updates for the life of your subscription. The 2010 version has recently been released and I will provide you with the simple instructions to update, just as soon as we can figure out what is going on here.

It does appear that your video drivers have been corrupted, possibly by an infection. Assuming you can launch Norton Internet Security 2009, manually run LiveUpdate and if any updates are installed, restart your computer and then manually run LiveUpdate again, until you are informed that there are no more updates available. Next, restart your computer into Windows Safe Mode and then launch Norton internet Security and complete a "Full System Scan" to check for infections. Let me know if any infections were found and if so, the name(s) of the infection(s) and what action was taken by the application.

Also, please let me know which version of Windows you have installed, along with which service pack.

Thank you,
Mike

Collapse -
New Problem
by samwapp-23063490202584983 / December 3, 2009 9:16 AM PST

Now, whenever I turn my computer on, it goes automatically to the blue screen and says there is a display driver problem.

Collapse -
Boot into Safe Mode and scan
by Michael_York / December 9, 2009 5:55 AM PST
In reply to: New Problem

Hi samwapp,

Please boot into Windows Safe Mode and then perform a "Full System Scan" with Norton to check for threats. I would also suggest that you find and install updated drivers for your video card.

Thanks,
Mike

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?