Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer doesn't boot up when cold

by conan1 / July 15, 2005 3:50 PM PDT

I have a built AMD 2600,2.4g,80gHD w/2g slave,XP Pro SP2, CD/DVD, V-92 modem, that when turning on the first time, it will go to first screen, then to a blank screen with cursor blinking in upper left corner. I have just replaced the HD and reloaded XP Pro with all programs, i have all installation discs. It originally had a 120g HD that was making weird noises when booting with the same problem so I thought HD was going bad. After hitting the reset 1-3 times, the computer boots up with no problems at all. Before replacing HD, I got a corrupted system:NTFS files cannot be found, then at another time recieved a system:config files cannot be found when trying to boot. While installing all programs over a period of 3 days due to dialup speed, I had no problems with system rebooting during installation. I get one beep on cold startup but then lockup until resetting. Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer doesn't boot up when cold
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer doesn't boot up when cold
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by Steven Haninger / July 15, 2005 9:59 PM PDT

A complete hardware description would be helpful but one thought I have is to disable any fast booting option the BIOS offers. This is usually just a change in the memory testing process. Another could be due to USB devices if any are installed....especially external ones. You may find an option to allow more time to detect these. If you are overclocking, trim this back. Hope that helps.

Collapse -
RE: cold boot
by conan1 / July 15, 2005 10:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

Case MXTP/MID 350W 2 Fans
AMD Athlon XP 2600+ 2.08Ghz 333fsb processor W/ fan & HS
Nec ND-1300A 4X DVD R/RW Drive
Samsung 1.44MB 3.5" floppy drive
WD800JB 80 Ghz EIDE HD
256MB DDR2700 333Mhz DIMM Memory
MB VIA KT400 ATX Shuttle AK39N
Windows XP PRO operating system
MPC2 Audio cable CDROM
VGA ATI Radeon 9800SE128M 8X
56K V.92 PCI Zoom FAX/Modem
Logitech cordless MX Duo keyboard and mouse

Thats off of my parts list. When I got home, I booted the system and the first screen came up then went to blank screen w/ no cursor blinking. Sat there after about 1 min then hit reset and system booted up with no problem. Am not overclocking at all. No USB devices are installed except for printer HP, It is working good also after system finally boots. Thanks for speedy response. Could the CMOS battery be low affecting this problem? The system was built in Oct of 2003. Boot problem started before I replaced HD 120G with the 80G HD but with same boot problem. At least it will come up so I can leave this post.

Collapse -
NT
by conan1 / July 15, 2005 11:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this

By the way, my complete system is listed on my profile if that will help. I'm also running Ad-aware SE, Historykill, Norton Internet Security and Systemworks w/ Antivirus. Had to shut off Security firewall due to internet issues and am using windows firewall at present but will download Zone Alarm next chance I get. Thanks to all

Collapse -
Typical of the bad motherboard capacitor issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 10:40 PM PDT

Here's an article with pictures so you can inspect your machine's capacitors -> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=195

After the machine warns up, the capacitors work just enough to get by, but this failure can lead to disk content corruption and may test if your backup system works.

Bob

Collapse -
RE: Typical
by conan1 / July 15, 2005 10:55 PM PDT

Is it fairly easy to replace only the capacitors without scrapping the MB? I have a degree in electronic from 1976 when I was repairing components in radios and TV's. We've come a long way from that. Now they are plug and play modules. Thank you for post

Collapse -
I think you know the answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 15, 2005 11:35 PM PDT
In reply to: RE: Typical

If you read the article and follow Google.com to some hundred other articles about this, you'll come up to speed.

It's not done very often because tech time costs about 100 bucks and the new motherboard is less than that.

Bob

Collapse -
Answer
by conan1 / July 16, 2005 9:41 AM PDT

Thanks for the post. Am at work now but when I got home yesterday, I booted up, had to reset once, then system came up fine. When I got up this afternoon, I booted the machine, got one beep and the 2nd page came up showing "Windows could not start because the following files are missing or corrupt: System32\Drivers\NTFS.sys". Tried to reset multiple times but unable to start windows normally, in safe mode, or in last known good configuration. Can open BIOS. Read articles on MB capacitor issues, thanks, Does not appear to have any leaking or bulged caps but I know that may not mean anything. Question: How can I pinpoint the problem to the MB? May have to change my profile proficiency to stupid and ignorant! lol

Collapse -
Here's what I do.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 16, 2005 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Answer

Those caps can be in the power supply too. You have to look there PLUS check for an overtaxed PSU. Too many machines are made with "just big enough" supplies. In a few months or even a few years you get the same effect.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?