Desktops forum

Question

Computer does nothing on startup.

by CascaLonginus / August 26, 2011 3:14 PM PDT

Compaq presario sr2020nx. The last time it worked it made sounds as if it were working hard to cool down. I opened it, and it was really dusty. Now when I start up it does nothing, nothing on the monitor, all the sounds are there (processor fan, HD, PSU fan) The processor light on the front stays on steady, but I don't hear it working. Another thing I find odd is that now after normal power down when I unplug it, then plug it back in, I do not have to hit the power button, it powers up as soon as I plug it in.
Is the computer wasted? (yes, I cleaned the dust out) What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer does nothing on startup.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer does nothing on startup.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
If you can, try...
by Willy / August 26, 2011 9:59 PM PDT

You may have waited too long before the cleaning of the dust bunnies. It has succumbed to heat stress/damage. You may have "bad caps", google for examples to check and verify against on your mtrbd.. Next, while it seems to boot(power-ON) it's not getting anyplace. next time, try a safe mode boot-up, hit the F8 key repeatedly to get into the safe mode. Once there, reboot and try the safe mode with networking option. Then run the [chkdsk /r], no brackets at the run button area. Allow it to finish, it may take some time before its done provided it runs at all and/or boots into safe mode. Otherwise, report back the results.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
computer wont start
by lushys / August 26, 2011 5:45 PM PDT

1) Are you getting any beep codes?

Collapse -
Ok, heres what happened...
by CascaLonginus / August 27, 2011 3:49 AM PDT
In reply to: computer wont start

This is my aunts computer, she brought it to me in the state it is in. I cleaned it out with an air compressor, but that couldn't have caused whats going on as nothing has changed in the way it is behaving. There are no beep codes whatsoever, hitting the F8 key after powering up does nothing, the processor fan seems to be stuck on high, but that may be it's normal speed. The first thing I did after cleaning it out was to unconnect, and reconnect all cables, the video, and sound are all on-board. There is only one card (other than ram) in the mobo, it has a green "line" phone type jack in the back, and the Ethernet is also on-board. I was hoping this was just a virus that may have messed up the HD, and a new one may get it working? Her kids use it, and are always getting malware on it.
I hope this gives you enough info, if you need more just ask. Thank you.

Collapse -
It's not a virus we know of.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 27, 2011 3:55 AM PDT

We did have that Chernobyl virus that could do that but that's for other machines a long time ago. These machines will beep and display the maker's screen with no hard drive so the fault is not something on the HDD.

You can test that by unplugging the HDD.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!