Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer cuts off

by fishintopsail / September 4, 2005 5:31 AM PDT

I posted this once in the wrong forum, I know I shouldn't post twice, but I feel like I will get a better response from this forum. Sorry.

My computer is cutting off, mostly during startup, but occasionally in the middle of something. I have ran the utilities... clean up, disc scan, defrag, but nothing seems to help. I use this computer mostly for internet. My ISP is PeoplePC, but I installed AOL to see if it helped and results were about the same. My system info is below. Any help will be appreciated.

Prod Info
Sony Notebook
Model PCG-F270(UC)
Version 01
Bios version Ro202K
OS version 4.10.1998
Windows 98

System Info
CPU Pentium 2
Clock freq 333mhz
Sys mem 128 mb
Cache mem 256 k bytes
HDD Partition 1: 5.84

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer cuts off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer cuts off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Most likely causes:
by Kees Bakker / September 4, 2005 7:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer cuts off

- Insufficient (if you added hardware) or too old PSU (power supply)
- Heat (difficult to do something about it in a notebook)
- RAM unreliable (download memtest86 and test it)
- Old age in general

- Virus and spyware (you don't write anything about your protection against these plagues) nor on your use of the critical Windows updates.

The easy way to discriminate between hardware problems and malware problems is a clean reload of your OS. Use to Sony's system restore disk if you have one. Add firewall, antivirus and critical updates first thing afterwards.
If that does help: problem solved. If not: time to start thinking about a new machine.

Kees

Collapse -
bootlog analyzer...
by reefurbb / September 4, 2005 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Computer cuts off

Google search, free, small, standalone.
hold F8 or ctrl at boot for boot menu, choose 2 "logged". When booted, hit BLA.EXE and choose "failed" or "delayed".
Might give a better clue.
When it "cuts off", what does it do? Blue screen? Just stops responding? Does your Hdd activity indicator (LCD screen?) indicate the Hdd is working, on all the time?
Same questions about cutting off after booting.
Use start-run-msconfig to see if there is anything suspicious. Turn off everything temporarily and see how boot and operation goes.

Collapse -
re: computer cutting off
by fishintopsail / September 5, 2005 10:40 AM PDT
In reply to: bootlog analyzer...

First, thanks for all response. I guess I should have said hard drive cuts off. Ths screen goes black, I can hear the processors and fans cut off, but the power light stays on. I have waited to see if anything happens, but nothing. I must cut off machine by holding down the power button. I have tried to clean it using compressed air. I will try your other suggestions.
Thanks again, Johnny

Collapse -
I hate it when they do that...
by reefurbb / September 5, 2005 9:34 PM PDT

and it's a horse of another color (from Wizard of Oz).
Modern motherboards, mobo, use a weak 5v, always on, that gets shorted to ground when you push de button to turn on. It runs through some of the circuitry, something like a "ground-fault breaker", because if there is something wrong enough, it won't turn on. Or after turning on, if the weak 5v, now running through another direction, gets scuttled, the mobo shuts down without the designed 4 second wait.
So Harry Potter, your problem is hardware.
Whatever cards you have plugged in, pull them one at-a-time, except video if it isn't onboard. Bad sound-modem-nic cards can do this.
If not that, then it's the mobo or something on it, ram-processor-fan, OR power supply itself.
The cheapest test would be to borrow/buy a power supply with the idea you can return it. If it's one of the small less-than 200w ones (I've seen 70w in a Compaq), it is very suspect.
The power light staying on means that one of the supply voltages is still there, the +5v, showing that A/C is connected.
While in there, take a look at the mobo for swollen or leaking little round "can" capacitors. If so, they can allow part of the mobo to almost work but you get the shut off because the whole thing isn't working.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?