Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer "Crashing"

I have VISTA Home Premium SP1 installed on my computer, and I use Firefox 3.0.7 browser.

For the last couple of months, while I am accessing Internet, the computer suddenly "crashes" typically every one or to hours and I have to then reboot it to resume my Internet accessing. As far as I recall, I did not have that annoying problem for at least a year before past couple of months.

Do other VISTA Home Premium SP1 users face the above same problem? if so, I shall up with the it until Microsoft removes its source and releases an update.

I believe that the probability is quite low that the above problem has its source in some "clutter" of programs and some "mild" virus in one of them in my computer. My computer is well protected by AVG, and there is not at all too much "clutter" of programs in my computer.

How do I go about systematically diagnosing the exact source of the above annoying problem?

Thank you so much!

Regards.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer "Crashing"
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer "Crashing"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you making that call?

In reply to: Computer "Crashing"

When your shiny machine crashes do you call its maker to lodge the complaint? It would be a shame to find you own some HP dv6000 or dvN000 laptop that a few didn't make those calls and they ended up out of warranty and a failed machine.

Then they call in and say "it's been crashing for over a year." The support replies "Checking that, just a minute." and then "Sorry I see this is your first call to us on this machine."
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, Bob, for a prompt reply.

In reply to: Are you making that call?

Thanks, Bob, for a prompt reply.

I have HP Pavilion a6200n desktop computer. (It came installed with VISTA Home Premium.) The computer is only 16 months old, and until about two months ago, there was no crashing problem. Somehow I do not think that my desktop has developed a hardware problem giving rise to the crashing problem. I have an idea that some software bug must be the source of the crashing problem. Of course, I could be wrong.

How do experts go about systematically diagnosing a crashing problem? More importantly, can a lay person like me systematically diagnose it?

Thank you so much.

Regards.

Collapse -
How did I guess that model series?

In reply to: Thanks, Bob, for a prompt reply.

There is an issue with the dv6000 series. The cause is the motherboard so when I hear your complaint and it's a HP of that model range we head to the phone and call HP.

Hope it's still in warranty.
Bob

PS. I diagnosed this one from prior experiences to answer your question.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.