Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Computer crashing

Well, I'm not exactly 100% literate when it comes to computers, but I know what I'm doing most of the time... But I have no idea what's going on with my computer. I have had this computer for a few months
now, and it seems like all the problems started happening shortly after I accidently broke a piece off of my motherboard. I'm not sure what piece it was, but it was yellow and it has on the side of it a bunch of random words and stuff, I'll put that in here too. "470uF" on one part, and on another it says "FX105

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer crashing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer crashing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you get the motherboard repaired?

In reply to: Computer crashing

If not, I expect the problems to continue.

Collapse -
Umm.

In reply to: Did you get the motherboard repaired?

I don't know of any reliable places where I live, otherwise I would have tried that. I was looking online to buy another motherboard, which is where I got my current one, it was working just fine until that piece broke off. Do you think the powersupply could be too low wattage? Should I get a higher wattage one? Also, should I still continue to look for another motherboard or should I try and find a place to get it repaired at?

Collapse -
In that case, you end up replacing the motherboard.

In reply to: Umm.

The world is a big place and you didn't reveal any geographic area. Shipping costs easily outstrip the cost of motherboards I see at newegg.com or geeks.com

Go figure.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm

In reply to: In that case, you end up replacing the motherboard.

Well, do you think if I found a place they would be able to repair it? I know it depends on what they do and stuff, but I'm not really sure, I haven't ever had anyone besides friends or my mom's boyfriend look at my computer, and I'm not really sure exactly what is required to repair it. I know I haven't given much information, but I'll try to find more out if you need to know more.

Collapse -
Any decent electronics tech can fix this.

In reply to: Hmm

But do you know any?

Type in BAD MOTHERBOARD CAPACITORS on google.com and you can read articles about that issue and find who is repairing that issue and for how much (about 70 bucks plus shipping.) Replacing your broken off capactor will run about the same and ... there is no warranty that it will cure your issue.

This is why I heartily encourage people to learn how to make minor solder repairs by taking that first year electronics course in high school or elsewhere.

Bob

Collapse -
Well I asked my mom's boyfriend about soldering it back on

In reply to: Any decent electronics tech can fix this.

He said that if I could, it wouldn't do anything. I know how to solder somewhat, but there's prettymuch none of the metal that held it in place. I think it was one of the onboard sound channels or something, because one of the speakers would work fine, and the other wouldn't work at all. I disabled the onboard sound and got a new sound card and both speakers worked right.

Collapse -
Which is why..

In reply to: Well I asked my mom's boyfriend about soldering it back on

A decent technician would clean out the solder holes, drop in a new capacitor (5 bucks tops) and solder it back into place then snip the excess wire leads off.

It's a minor operation but in a shop it will hit 50 bucks just to have the tech do it, and maybe 100 more to strip the board out of the case and put it back in.

And no one can warrant the results.

Bob

Collapse -
Oh, I didn't realize that... Heh.

In reply to: Which is why..

I'll just see if my mom's boyfriend will do that for me, since I'd probably mess it up. So, do you think that's the main problem or what? Do you think I should get a higher wattage powersupply? I was going to get a 580w one, not sure if it'd help anything though. My mom's boyfriend is running a 2.7 3200+ I think, and his hasn't had any problems with crashing, and he's had his for a couple years. He had a 1Ghz but upgraded... We both are using the same cd for 2000.

Collapse -
Think I'll just ask him to solder it back in

In reply to: Oh, I didn't realize that... Heh.

Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. Sorry if I wasted your time, I try to understand the best I can though. I hope that I can fix the problem. Bye.

Collapse -
I'll be repeating myself. And now the discussion is over.

In reply to: Oh, I didn't realize that... Heh.

"No one can warrant if this will fix it."

Which is why a shop will likely just swap the mainboard and save the roll of the dice.

Sorry, but I don't offer support for casual OS Piracy -> "We both are using the same cd for 2000."

This discussion has ended with that relevation.

Bob

Collapse -
I think I'll just get a new motherboard or something

In reply to: Hmm

Most places I've found in my area and anywhere else have a flate rate of about $50 per hour, it seems like a waste of money to just have someone look at my motherboard for that much, I'll probably just get a new motherboard. Do you guys have any suggestions or other ideas on other ways I could fix the crashes? Is it just the motherboard or could it be something else? I disabled the onboard sound in the bios. Would that still affect anything?

Collapse -
No. It's a simple hardware error.

In reply to: I think I'll just get a new motherboard or something

Even worse is you are jepordising what data is on the hard disk with each use.

But that's your choice.

Collapse -
Heh, well I guess I still have some stuff to learn..

In reply to: No. It's a simple hardware error.

Give me a break though, I'm only 16... Still in highschool. I didn't realize that I was risking losing stuff on my harddrive.

Collapse -
While they do mainly laptops...

In reply to: Computer crashing

ikenfixit.com can fix that. You would ship just the mainboard and the broken off part and note where it came off. As I wrote, costs can hit the price of a replacement board.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.