Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer crashes when opening applications / random crashes

by surfer_2310 / August 23, 2009 11:04 AM PDT

Hi,

Recently my computer has started to crash whenever i attempt to open any application, firefox, Microsoft internet explorer, or my anti-virus COMODO are a couple. Sometimes the application will just close and i'll get an error message and other times my computer will all together restart.

I wrote down a few of the errors i've been getting. i got a window saying "Dwwin.exe application error" when i tryed to use firefox, and when i tried internet explorer i got "the application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000005). click OK to terminate".

I keep trying to open up my virus scanner to update it, the updater gets to 30% and just stops and sometimes after awhile the computer will restart. Im running windows XP right now and the only thing that I've done recently that is out of the ordinary is make a Linux ubuntu CD to test it out. I never installed it on my computer though.

After the problem started i tried booting up to the Linux CD to see if i could run firefox and other applications, but when ubuntu gets to its first loading screen it will sit there for hours and then either freeze or my computer will go to a black screen and start spitting out error messages.

I'm writing this from another computer in my house so i dont have all of the specs for the computer that is having problems. I know this message is pretty vague but im hoping someone here has an idea of what could be wrong. I'm assuming a piece of hardware has broken or is out of order, obviously im not an expert though.

Just a note - if i dont try to open any type of application and just let the computer sit at the desktop it doesn't seem to crash. Also, sometimes when i open firefox/ internet explorer i can use them for a minute or two before they begin to shutdown.

- just got a new error message. "taskmgr. exe application error - the instruction at "0x7472f32a" referanced memory at "0x00002008". the memory could not be "read" click OK to terminate the program."

i just looked online on the symptoms of bad memory, it seems like this could be the problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer crashes when opening applications / random crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer crashes when opening applications / random crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Ideas.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2009 11:42 PM PDT
Collapse -
registry
by surfer_2310 / August 24, 2009 2:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Ideas.

now sometimes after the computer shuts down and is restarting it says one of my disks needs to be checked for consistency and then runs a chkdsk, deletes some corrupt stuff and then says its replacing a few things then goes back to its normal start up.

- now the computer will not even start, it comes to a black screen with a couple of options: start windows normally, start windows in safe, and a couple of other start up options, whichever i choose to start it up in though it just brings me back to that screen... over and over again.

I talked to a person who said my registry is probably messed up. he suggested using a recovery CD, i have the recovery CD that came with the computer when i bought it, although the only option i see is 'restore to factory default' and that all files in C drive will be overwritten. I'm trying to find a way to do this without losing my files.

Thanks

Collapse -
I agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 2:48 AM PDT
In reply to: registry

But the cause of this is likely to be a maintenance one. You can reload the OS but until you do your machine repairs I don't expect this story to get any better.

As to losing files, why not put in a new hard drive and save your old drive for a day when you are ready to copy those files out? Hard drives are cheap compared to data recovery fees.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.