Alert

Computer crashes, need help.

Mar 10, 2015 12:33PM PDT

Hello everyone,

Lately (for the past week) I have been having an issue with my PC and I have tried everything to find out what the issue could be. I thought it would be best if I asked some experts on the internet.

This is my PC info:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation

System Name TYLER-PC

System Manufacturer MSI

System Model MS-7821

Motherboard MSI87-g45

Power supply CX750M W

GPU PNY factory *oc Geforce gtx 780 ti

HDD Seagate 4TB, (I have a second hdd that I booted up, same problem accrued, so I don't think its my hdd)

System Type x64-based PC

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770K CPU @
3.50GHz, 3501 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)

BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. V1.7, 2/20/2014

SMBIOS Version 2.8

Windows Directory C:\Windows

System Directory C:\Windows\system32

Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"

Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB

Total Physical Memory 15.9 GB

Available Physical Memory 12.4 GB

Total Virtual Memory 31.9 GB

Available Virtual Memory 27.9 GB

Page File Space 15.9 GB

My issue:

My PC boots up perfectly fine, but once it boots up when you start to move around the mouse cursor it sometimes freezes in spot for less than a second, then it unfreezes. Everything else on the computer seems to work fine.

Another problem is when I try to run a game, my computer runs the game fine when its in the menu, but once you start playing 1-3 min into the game maybe less than that the computer freezes up. I gets checkered boxes all across both my monitors. I will provide picture at bottom of page.

One other problem I notice is when i type it could freeze time to time. Just like the mouse, but it happens less.

Please give me some advice on what I could do to solve this issue or if you think a part of my computer is faulty. Note I have had this computer for 8 months and has worked perfectly fine, till now.

Pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/qvPM0

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Computer crashes, need help.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Computer crashes, need help.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
looks to be video card problem
Mar 10, 2015 2:32PM PDT
- Collapse -
reset Bios
Mar 10, 2015 4:16PM PDT

yes, and yes, but I went to BIOS and set it to default, saved then rebooted. Still problem occurs.

Now i am facing a new problem, My audio output keeps changing every minute or so.

I think there is something wrong with my Motherboard. What else could be causing this issue?

- Collapse -
Second computer
Mar 10, 2015 4:29PM PDT

Not to mention I set up my entire setup on a second computer that I had laying around, and everything seemed to work fine. No crashed and freezes. I installed it on a very old crappy motherboard with an ancient AMD cpu.

But then again, I come to ask myself "What if the GPU can't do it's maximum capability, do to the poor components?" And that is why it wont crash, that maybe the gpu is still faulty and it just wont crash because it cant go off it's limits.

Tell me what you think about it?
Could use all the help. I appreciate it. Happy

- Collapse -
You can test it easy enough
Mar 10, 2015 7:54PM PDT

Pull the discreet card and run onboard video only. You could leave the card at first and try the onboard video out plug. If everything works OK that way, then you know it's the video card. Of course the onboard won't run as fast, but it will let you see if the problem exist when the card is out.

- Collapse -
Issue seems to be gpu
Mar 12, 2015 9:11AM PDT

Thank you,

I did what you suggested "Pull the discreet card and run on-board video only. You could leave the card at first and try the on-board video out plug. If everything works OK that way, then you know it's the video card."

And like I thought as well it was the gpu.

Good thing that my gpu has lifetime warranty from PNY upon purchase of item and registry of item online.
I have shipped them my gpu and they said they will send out a new gpu as soon as they receive mine.
Should take a week or 2. Depending on distance and shipping method.

I will keep you posted of when I receive the new gpu and if the fault still occurs, but I really doubt it will occur again. Thank you for your help again, have a great day.

- Collapse -
good deal!
Mar 12, 2015 9:14AM PDT

glad it's solved.

- Collapse -
Couldn't find my thread
Mar 31, 2015 12:37PM PDT

I told you I will keep you posted, so here we go.

I received my new graphics card in the main about a week ago, and I installed it in my setup.

BAM! everything is working perfectly fine. My old graphics card was dead and faulty...

Thanks you for your help by the way.

- Collapse -
error,
Mar 31, 2015 12:38PM PDT

In the mail, not in the main.

- Collapse -
default would likely
Mar 10, 2015 7:56PM PDT

have onboard video set to on. Turn it off. If you test the onboard video to see if it works OK and the video card still doesn't work, then of course, turn it back on.

CNET Forums

Forum Info