Computer Help forum

General discussion

Computer crashes, I need ideas on cause

by Cryshal / June 11, 2007 10:49 AM PDT

Recently my computer started crashing and wouldn't turn back on until I unplugged it, waited a few minutes, and plugged it back in. This started in MySpace, and only happens there or if I've been there working on my page. After I leave there, I can crash, also, I mean. But, only if I've been working on my page. I had no problem when I first set up my page. I've been trying to redo it.

Someone suggested it might be my power supply. But, I have no problem playing in Lord of the Rings, nor doing anything else on my computer.

Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2
System Manufacturer: INTEL_System Model: D865PERL
BIOS: BIOS Date: 02/13/05 22:02:08 Ver: 08.00.10
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2558MB RAM
Page File: 380MB used, 5859MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer crashes, I need ideas on cause
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer crashes, I need ideas on cause
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
When you say it crashed
by lacsr / June 11, 2007 9:40 PM PDT

What exactly does it do? BSOD, just shut off, or error message?
Please explain.

Collapse -
Too little info to give a definte answer.
by batman823 / June 11, 2007 10:44 PM PDT

The fact that it only happens on myspace says that your computer has an issue with your page on myspace. If you got pic's and flashy things to put on your page, they might have contained a virus. But a virus would likely be caught by your protection software. It might be some other software issue. But since you have a fairly new computer, I suggest doing a simple revert of your whole system. I have XP media center edition, and it's easy to do. I'm pretty sure home edition can as well. But if it only happens on your page, not others. Cancel your account and start a new one as well as the revert.

If you installed any new software, you will need to re-install the software. But you can also use MS support. They will guide you through the process over the phone on how to share your computer and they can check it out.

If you don't like those ideas, there is plenty of freeware that runs diagnostics on your PC that XP doesn't do. I'm assuming you've done that. But the freeware is discussed on many of the other computer help forums from last month. I am sorry I don't have the links, but they're not hard to find.

Good luck to you

Collapse -
I see a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2007 10:54 PM PDT

"Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 2558MB RAM"

Armed with only this I'm going to take a wild guess you have a pair of 1GB sticks and 2 256MB sticks.

-> Remove the 2 pair of 256MB sticks and retest.

The second clue is the 2.4GHz (2 CPUs). That could be the old 2.4GHz HT chip. At that age I'd refresh the heatsink compound, clean the heatsink and if that fan isn't working as it did when new then replace the fan.

I'd leave the case cover off during tests.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: answers
by Cryshal / June 12, 2007 6:03 AM PDT
In reply to: I see a clue.

Thank you for your answers. I will look into your suggestions.

Collapse -
Re: crashes
by Cryshal / June 12, 2007 8:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: answers

I haven't crashed at all since I stopped logging into MySpace. I can still go to my friend's pages and explore, as long as I don't log in.
This tells me the problem must be there.

I sent an email to their support telling them what I said in my first post here.

Collapse -
So I should unsubscribe?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2007 12:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: crashes

If you can't use my advice then I should unsubscribe.

There are reasons for my thoughts on this. But avoiding MySpace will not correct your hardware.

Bob

Collapse -
Browser?
by Thekk.Kheelan / June 14, 2007 12:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: crashes

It looks like there might be an issue with the My Space Website and your Browser. I know that there is some coding on there website that can crash your Browser, if you use IE, then its highly possible that this might be your problem. Have you tried a different browser? I would suspect it more software based then Hardware.

Cheers!

Collapse -
Re
by Cryshal / June 14, 2007 12:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Browser?

I think I solved the problem. I had two spaces, two different email addresses. I deleted one. I think there was a problem because of a mixup when I logged in. I'm not positive about this, of course, but I'm not having a problem with crashing now.

Why two spaces? It gave me two pages to decorate with special themes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?