Computer Help forum

Question

Computer Crashes

by ACKJVR / October 11, 2013 6:33 AM PDT

Hi,

I recently purchased a new custom built gaming PC from a friend, who told me that the motherboard had problems. I have noticed that the computer, while downloading files, will randomly freeze and necessitate a restart. This same problem happens sometimes while streaming videos from the Internet.

In addition, I have had problems with my computer's dual monitors. After having the computer for about two weeks, one of the ports in the graphics card, that had my second monitor attached, stopped working. Any ideas on why this may be?

My specs:
AMD Fx-4100 Quad Core Processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660
ASUS PCE-N53 Wireless Card
8 GB RAM

Thanks for the help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Computer Crashes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Computer Crashes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why would you purchase it
by itsdigger / October 11, 2013 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Computer Crashes

knowing it had motherboard troubles? Take it back to the maker to fix it

Collapse -
It was $400
by ACKJVR / October 11, 2013 8:15 AM PDT

and he did not make it clear that the problem's were this extensive.

Collapse -
Get the $400 back
by itsdigger / October 11, 2013 8:19 AM PDT
In reply to: It was $400

and go to a big box store and buy a new one

Collapse -
Clarification Request
since this is a new custom build
by itsdigger / October 11, 2013 9:23 PM PDT

how about telling us the OS and if it's Windows and legitamate.... Digger

Collapse -
Windows 7
by ACKJVR / October 12, 2013 4:55 AM PDT

And its legit. Sorry.

Collapse -
Sorry I had to ask
by itsdigger / October 12, 2013 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

Too many folks come to the forum for help and make everyone jump through hoops to help them and 20 posts later tell us that it's a cracked OS and than that's a whole other can of worms. Didn't mean to be an A$$...Digger

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Possibilities
by wpgwpg / October 11, 2013 7:25 AM PDT

Starting with the motherboard (which you acknowledge has problems), it could be the PSU, the RAM, temperatures, viruses, the CPU, or one of your GPUs, corrupt software, etc. What have you done to try isolating among the possibilities?

Collapse -
Rather awful
by ACKJVR / October 11, 2013 8:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Possibilities

I'm rather awful with computer problems like this, so I have no idea how to begin doing something like this, beyond reinstalling driver software and scanning for viruses.

Collapse -
it's tricky
by Warsam71 / October 11, 2013 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Rather awful

well, depending on how comfortable you are, you can to the old fashioned "elimination by trial" approach to isolate the problem. Meaning remove each of your main components (video card, memory, disc drives, etc) from the motherboard and re-instal (or reseat) each, one by one, testing each one by turning on the PC after installing it.

Like wpgwpg has mentioned it could be any of the items above.

One way to look at it (please don't take me wrong, I don't mean to sound rude or anything), you can use this machine as a starting point to learn how to fix/troubleshoot, and ultimately build your own PCs.

Collapse -
Thanks
by ACKJVR / October 11, 2013 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: it's tricky

Thanks for the idea. I honestly didn't know where to begin. Its not rude, its a good idea, and I think I will go ahead and try it starting tomorrow.

Collapse -
What you can do
by wpgwpg / October 11, 2013 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Rather awful

My first choice in this case would be to do what Digger suggests and return it and get your $400 back. If you want to try trouble shooting, you could run some diagnostics and see what they say. You didn't say what version of Windows you're running, so we're constrained to generalities here until you do. Since you say you have no idea how to begin doing something like this, I'd advise against trying to diagnose and fix the problem yourself unless you don't care about the $400 and have lots of time for self education. It can take several years to get good at problem determination and resolution, especially if you don't have someone to help you learn.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by ACKJVR / October 11, 2013 12:02 PM PDT
In reply to: What you can do

Sorry, it is on Windows 7. While its true about the $400, I think I'll give it a try to diagnose the problem like Warsam suggested. I do have another computer to use if I really screw something up and it was more than just the computer. The $400 was also a bunch of hardware.

Collapse -
OK, here's probably the best place to start
by wpgwpg / October 11, 2013 12:17 PM PDT
In reply to: Windows 7

Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Performance and Information Tools -> Advanced tools -> Generate a system health report. That will give you a whole lot of information after 2-3 minutes of analysis. Comb through the details to see if anything stands out. Another thing you can do with Windows 7 is to run the memory diagnostics. After that you can download disk diagnostics from the Seagate and Western Digital web sites. Since your system was custom built, find out who made the motherboard, get diagnostics for it and run them. Hopefully you'll find a needle or two in this haystack of possibilities. Be warned, it's a tedious process that takes lots of trial and error, not to mention patience and skill.
`
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
Re: gaming PC
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2013 5:24 AM PDT

For 400$ you can't get a good new custom-built gaming PC. I'd return it, get my money back and see if he finds another victim.

Kees

Collapse -
It wasn't just the PC
by ACKJVR / October 12, 2013 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: gaming PC

I also go two ACER 20" monitors, a QuickFire Mechanical Keyboard, and a Razer mouse. He was desperate for some cash and sold th whole thing to me. So the computer was definitely worth it.

Collapse -
Nice friend you are.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / October 12, 2013 6:22 AM PDT
In reply to: It wasn't just the PC

Paying less than half the value for a PC + accessories to "help" a friend. But maybe all the equipment was stolen?

Anyway, you saved some 600 dollar. That must be enough to have it repaired by a repair shop.

Kees

Collapse -
I know he bought it
by ACKJVR / October 12, 2013 9:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice friend you are.

but what could I do? His other buyer was going for $300 because he wasn't asking a lot. I didn't know what was up with him, so I offered him some more and took it.

Collapse -
Then it's a fixer upper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 12, 2013 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: It wasn't just the PC

I read the above but a few details are missing such as bios version, power supply make/model and more.

Often I can stabilize such a machine but the details are slim so far.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm sorry
by ACKJVR / October 12, 2013 9:14 AM PDT

Like I said, new to fixing computers and had really no idea what information you needed. I had to switch houses tonight but I'll get you the info tomorrow. I'll try and get all the information I can on what actually makes it up.

Collapse -
Sorry for the delay
by ACKJVR / October 16, 2013 8:43 AM PDT

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I have a:

ASUS M5A97 Motherboard
BIOS Version: ALASKA -1072009
AMD F(x)-tm 4100 Quad Core Processor
GeForce GTX660 Video Card
Rosewell Bronze Power Supply
Corsair Cooling System
Seagate 1TB Hard drive

I pulled what I thought was important. If there is anything else you need, I can get it for you.

Collapse -
Motherboard notes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 16, 2013 9:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the delay
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/M5A97/ shows the usual OVERCLOCKING motherboard with some automatic overclock feature. Get in there and set it to stock speeds.

I'll stop here as I see the manual covers this there.

-> The GTX660 was tested at http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-5.html and they used a 1200 Watt PSU. You noted some Bronze model but I can't find how big it is.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-660-geforce-gtx-650-benchmark,3297-23.html topped out at about 325 so using the old rule of double the max we want to see a 650 Watt Single Rail PSU.

-> BIOS. I see ASUS released a bios on 2013/10/16 (today) and it does write "Improve system stability."

I'd update the BIOS since you are experiencing stability issues.

-> COOLING. For now, leave the case cover off.
Bob
Collapse -
Power
by ACKJVR / October 16, 2013 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard notes.

I do have a 650 W PSU. I am attempting to go through the other pieces that you suggested now.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.